What's new

Pros/Cons of handheld cashier devices

kclogan

Reaction score
Hey all,

About to make the plunge to buy some handheld cashier devices -- our car wash is too busy to be relaying my employees back and forth (adds up to miles a day).

I'm trying to decide between a streamlined, smaller device and a large tablet like device that would pretty much mimic our current cashier system. Does anyone have problems with using a large tablet in a car wash atmosphere? Would smaller be better? Or focus on functionality?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
We use the DRB PTT's. We tried the larger tablet device but found it too cumbersome.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
According to Mr. Fazio, the future of the carwash industry is converyorized. This means fully-automated with computer controlled equipment including payment technology.

The last time I was involved with a new carwash project that didn’t have self-pay stations was 2009.

Consider McDonalds. It has a mobile app that allows customers to order their food, wait in a designated parking space, and the food is delivered to the car.

My business is now paperless. People pay via electronic funds transfer and credit card. Banks don’t want written reports anymore. I don’t even own a printer or fax machine. Later this year, I’m going to offer some services via Skype.

Times are changing. Growth of mobile payment is rampant.

Pay stations allow operators to free up attendants to provide a higher level of service standard which leads to a higher customer loyalty rate.

This includes stuff like build rapport with customers instead of selling them, better policing of the area, participation in promotional activities, more time for training, etc.

Pay stations also eliminate need for pesky cashiers, egos, and POS can’t steal.

Greeter or customer service advisor can be viewed as tactic of differentiation strategy.

However, consumer behavior and automation technology have created a distinct advantage in terms of cost.