What's new

product to get sap(?) off roof of car

MissyMyrtz

Reaction score
My husband parks his car under a tree that drops what we are assuming is some type of sap and leaves and pollen on it. When we went to wash it, we can't get it off for anything. It's like a thin layer or syrup that hardened to the roof. Can anyone recommend a product that would work well to get this stuff off the roof? Thanks in advance!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Bug and Tar remover works for me, but you may need to put it on a rag and cover the spots and let it soak for a while if it's really hard. The paint may or may not be damged in that spot. Tell him to stop parking there.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
Commercially available bug and tar removar will be the safest option. Methyl hydrate will also work quite well (apply to cloth, never directly to paint) but if not done properly, can cause damage quickly. For the few extra $$ (and less time) it will cost, take it to a local detail shop and have them do it for you. Removes the risk of you potentially damaging your paint and you know that it will be done right.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Go to auto parts store and buy a small bottle of Rain-X windshield treatment.

Soak a cotton ball with the solution, place it directly on the sap spot and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

This will soften the sap and allow you to remove it by wiping the ball back and forth over the sap.

Depending on the type of tree sap and amount of time it has been on the car, you may have to repeat the process several times for complete removal.

After removal, put a little car wax on the spot and buff it off with soft cotton towel.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Robert, the main ingredients in Rain-X are the same as denatured alcohol.

Rain-X
2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Identity CAS No. Concentration
Ethanol 64-17-5 30.00 - 60.00 %
Acetone 67-64-1 10.00 - 30.00 %
Isopropyl alcohol 67-63-0 10.00 - 30.00 %
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00111271.PDF
Denatured Alcohol
Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirits". Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
And it's 30% acetone. You definitely don't want to be putting acetone on your paint.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Robert, the main ingredient in Rain-X is alcohol. It also contains Acetone, which I would not recommend using on automotive paint surfaces.”

Ok, I’ll qualify myself.

I attend General Motors Training Center Fisher Body School in 1970, 1971 and 1972 where I earned certifications in reconditioning, new car prep, auto body repair and paint refinishing, frame straightening, interior repair, convertible top and sunroof repair, etc.

I practiced auto repair and painting for five years and owned and operated several detailing and reconditioning businesses including mobile service and operating out of both domestic and import dealerships brands included Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, AMC, Porsche, Audi, Alfa Romeo, Lotus, Rolls Royce and MG.

I’ve also owned and operated professional carwash and express oil change.

I also have ten years experience as environmental program manager where part of my responsibilities included regulation of the production, storage and transportation of volatile organic compounds. This included products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, bunker oil and wide range of solvents.

I know what I’m talking about.

Acetone is a solvent and has been used in applying coatings such as highway traffic paint. Along time ago it was also used to clean marks off the varnish of bowling pins.

Acetone has been used by highway departments and auto body shops to safely remove highway traffic paint from vehicles.

The content of acetone in Rain-X is just enough to make it effective in removing sap.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
So how long did you own the mobile wash? Also you worked at an oil change place? You ran those two together sorry.

Nevermind.... I read your post and the thread was about sap.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our detail shop uses Isopropyl 90% alcohol and/or Goof Off Pro Strength Remover.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Our detail shop uses Isopropyl 90% alcohol and/or Goof Off Pro Strength Remover.
How would you determine which product to use? Also what would you use on a car that is 20 years old? Or has really bad paint?

I know paint technology has changed in the past 20 years.