What's new

Procon Pump Problem

Rudy

Reaction score
My Procon pump died on my RO machine today. I had a spare that I picked up 3-4 years ago. Supposedly, it was several years old, new and unused.

Today, after bolting it to the motor, it turns freely, but won't pump. Nada. It spins freely, almost to freely. I removed the pump, looked into the inlet ports (1"), and the rotor does indeed turn.

My question....would a new, pump which has sat on a shelf for 5+ years have any reason why it wouldn't pump? Could the vanes be sticking or hanging up?

Ideas?

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you sure it's the pump that failed? You'd see the same symptoms if your inlet solenoid wasn't opening.

Rudy

Reaction score
It has to be the pump. I saved a third pump that worked, but doesn't put out enough pressure. It'll work long enough until I can get the first one rebuilt. It's working fine in the system, so it can't be a solenoid.

What would be the symptoms if the prior owner had run the pump dry?

MEP001

Reaction score
Rudy said:
What would be the symptoms if the prior owner had run the pump dry?
Low or no pressure, sometimes accompanied by a grinding noise but not always.

I wouldn't rebuild a Procon unless it's a stainless model.

phred113

Reaction score
My Procon pump died on my RO machine today. I had a spare that I picked up 3-4 years ago. Supposedly, it was several years old, new and unused.

Today, after bolting it to the motor, it turns freely, but won't pump. Nada. It spins freely, almost to freely. I removed the pump, looked into the inlet ports (1"), and the rotor does indeed turn.

My question....would a new, pump which has sat on a shelf for 5+ years have any reason why it wouldn't pump? Could the vanes be sticking or hanging up?

Ideas?
If the pump has sat that long, then there will likely be issues inside. The seals may have worn or failed, the carbon vanes completely seated against cylinder wall, or the built-in regulator is fouled. The sad reality of this type of pump is that the 'domino' like vanes are fragile and damaged by debris. So, if the vane sticks and leaves some goo or ridge of material, then the next vane needs to remove, but it typically loses a little of its' own vane edge and this debris then grinds into the next vane and so on....

I am surprised you can take this apart. All the pumps I have seen needed to be sent back to the factory for service. I have done it successfully, but I never expected it to work afterwards.

I wish someone would come up with a pump that can run dry, handle chemicals, simple to fix, and did not require a complete pneumatic system.

Rudy

Reaction score
FWIW, upon disassembly, I found the vanes were stuck in the rotor. These vanes are supposed to "fling" outwards when the rotor rotates via centrifugal force. After freeing them up, the pump works fine. If you ever take one of these apart, be very, very careful. The graphite "guts" is fragile and chips easily.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I didn't know Pro Cons could be rebuilt. Where can they be sent or where can parts/manuals be had? I also use a "Fluid-O-Tech pump and send them back to the factory to be rebuilt although the last one was a bit expensive. have been having them rebuilt for quite a few years.

Randy

Reaction score
Yes they can be rebuilt. I send them back to the factory in Murfreesboro Tenn. You can also send them to an authorized service center to have them rebuilt or exchanged. Do a search on Procon pumps and they will pop up.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I have been scrapping them for years. I know quite a few years ago I spoke with a Pro-con rep and at that time they would not rebuild them, atleast according to him.

Randy

Reaction score
It must have been a long time ago. I sent my first in to be rebuilt for a customer about 15 years ago. I’ve also bought a few on EBay, but there you’re rolling the Dice as if it’s going to work or not.