What's new

Problems with WSII Modem

sterlingh20

Reaction score
Hi about 2 years ago lightning fried my modem and i replaced it with a refurbished one and installed a surge protector on the modem and phone line, now every few cars the modem won't dial out and it will display network error card declined on the WSII, i can turn the power off and back on and it will dial just fine and sometimes it won't the modem tested fine in the diagnostics on the WSII. Is this signs of a faulty modem?

semocarwasher

Reaction score
I've never been impressed with these modems on the WS II because of the expense and difficulty of troubleshooting the problem. I too, have been through periods with problems like yours. It could be noise on the phone line itself. For about a year period I had a phone line that would get static on it after a rain and shut down the modem. Of course I didn't know this normally because I never used the phone line to make calls. After the phone box pedestal would dry out the line would be clear again but modem would have to be reset. Long story short, I siliconed around the phone company's box for them and I rarely if ever have that problem any more.

sterlingh20

Reaction score
Well it doesn't even pickup the line when it is having probelms because I don't even hear the dial tone. I plugged in a regular phone and there is no static and it works every time.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The problem can also be on the CPU board. You can buy a connector at radio shack and make a jumper out of it to test the CPU. Customer support can give you the lowdown on it.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Modems are rather easy to troubleshoot if you understand them. This has been discussed by myself and others in past posts, so do a little searching to find them.

Etowah