What's new

Problem with mirror

Washabc

Reaction score
I am looking for industry opinion or 3rd person’s point of view. A customer came into the car wash this weekend and the car wash attendant folded in his mirrors like they always do before it goes in to the tunnel to protect them. When he folded it in, it popped and was loose. He did nothing out of the ordinary. He went to tell the owner and asked if he still wanted it run through the tunnel for a wash, and the guy said yes. It came out the other end and when the mirror was folded back into place, it was still loose.

The customer wants the wash to repair it. As a full service wash where do you draw the line and not paying for damages that occur at the car wash but are not necessarily the fault of the wash or its employees?

bonanza1

Reaction score
I am looking for industry opinion or 3rd person’s point of view. A customer came into the car wash this weekend and the car wash attendant folded in his mirrors like they always do before it goes in to the tunnel to protect them. When he folded it in, it popped and was loose. He did nothing out of the ordinary. He went to tell the owner and asked if he still wanted it run through the tunnel for a wash, and the guy said yes. It came out the other end and when the mirror was folded back into place, it was still loose.

The customer wants the wash to repair it. As a full service wash where do you draw the line and not paying for damages that occur at the car wash but are not necessarily the fault of the wash or its employees?
What kind of car make&model,i have a express tunnel and have been in the dody shio bussiness fo 20 years and can tell you if it is a common problem car.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
since the employee folded it and it broke i would get them a used one and pay to have it put on if possible.

it may not be your fault, but under the circumstances you mentioned i would fix it.

i think all pro carwashes should have or develop relationships with body shops and salvage yards for this reason. i have. if you have not then you may want to start now.

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
Yea pretty sure thats a common problem with those mirrors

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
If you can take the mirror off or pop the glass out of the housing, you may be able to tighten it up. If I remember correctly there is a spring loaded, or something similar, pin that holds the mirror in place. Worth a shot if you plan to buy a mirror anyway.

mikeexpress

Reaction score
if you can get the mirror glass off. GM makes a repair kit for that mirror it is like a j hook with a nut on the end. you will need some dental picks to get the mirror of though. the big problem is putting the glass back on thats when the glass breaks. good luck

Classic Car Wash

Reaction score
Let me guess, the attendant punched it, right? Or he gave it a karate kick. Thats it. :rolleyes:
Stuff like this burns me up but what are you gonna do?

Very common thing on those mirrors. (Thanks GM):rolleyes:

The mirror can be fixed if you have the time and a few tools. I have a procedure that I perfected over the years. There is one very simple key thing that insures the repair will last and the mirror continues fold without re breaking.

The other problem is trying to convince the customer that you can fix it.