What's new

Problem with leaking floor heat

JIMT

Reaction score
We have a floor heat that is leaking antifreeze but we can't find the leak. We tried an infrared camera with no luck.
I remember seeing in the Forum someone had used a particular brand sealer that sealed his leaking floor heat. I cannot find it on the Forum now. If anyone knows about this sealer or another on that works please let me know.
JIMT

dogwasher

Reaction score
We have a floor heat that is leaking antifreeze but we can't find the leak. We tried an infrared camera with no luck.
I remember seeing in the Forum someone had used a particular brand sealer that sealed his leaking floor heat. I cannot find it on the Forum now. If anyone knows about this sealer or another on that works please let me know.
JIMT
Cant remember but try looking up the brand "Hercules"

wash4me

Reaction score
You might try isolating and pressure testing individual loops. After you find which loop then you can locate that loop with the infrared camera and or try just not using that loop if possible.

robblackburn

Reaction score
I just solved the same issue. I thought that I had leak in floor heat somewhere and tried everything to find leak but no luck. I finally noticed that there was a small leak coming from the floor heat boiler. Turns out that the leak was in the heat exchanger of the boiler and you never really saw much glycol hitting the floor because it was being burned away by the boiler. Replaced the boiler and no leaks in system now. just a thought but I would definitely pull cover off boiler and look for a slow leak.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I had a problem once at an old site where the floor piping was made of gas pipe (it was from before the invention of flexible plastic tubing I think). I pressurized the manifold with air and used an ultrasonic sensor that I borrowed from my father in law (I'm not sure where to buy one though). The problem I had was that as soon as I did that, I found the one leak, and caused about 50 more. The bottom half of the pipe had wore through from the antifreeze over the years, so the bottom half of the pipe was only 1/100 of an inch thick. Had to pour new floors.
You may have a leak detection company close by that can do just that. As the air leaks through the hole, it makes a small noise that the sensor can detect and amplify... You shouldn't have the problems I did if your site was built after 1975 or so (mine is from 1964).

bigleo48

Reaction score
\. Turns out that the leak was in the heat exchanger of the boiler and you never really saw much glycol hitting the floor because it was being burned away by the boiler. Replaced the boiler and no leaks in system now.
Wow...replaced the whole boiler...why not just the heat exchanger?