What's new

Problem with JC Shampoo Vac

slash007

Reaction score
I was finally able to get a bill acceptor installed on one shampoo vac, but now the shampoo part isn't working. When the yellow button is pressed, it doesn't click so I know that hte solenoid is not getting activated. What is the easiest way to test the solenoid? I figure you just jump two wires, but wasn't sure which ones.

Thanks.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Is the pump running?

Is the air compressor running?

I think mine clicks only when the button on the Brush head is pressed. You can follow those wires from wwhere they come out of the hose inside the machine and jum them there.

Check the button.

Check to make sure the tiny barbed fitting is not clogged.

slash007

Reaction score
Both pump and compressor are running. I know there is a problem related to the switch because I hear a click at the brush head when the button is pressed, but not inside the machine. If you press the button on the brush head, you hear a click inside the machine even when the shampoo function is not active, but I am not hearing that like in my other machines. One wire runs to one leg of the solenoid and the other to the neutral on the bar. I'll try jumping those today to see.

slash007

Reaction score
It turned out that a wire had broken off right at the switch in the brush head. It was a bitch to take the head off and fix it, but all good now.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Another terrible design by JCC
Yes, I agree-terrible design for service. What makes these wires corrode and break more than anything is moisture. Many owners may clean their shampoo brush head by submersing them in a bucket of water and sloshing around. The assembly is not waterproof and will eventually fail if you do that. Coleman sells a special tool to take the button out, but it is still a pain. I've found the easiest way to change a bad button is chisel the top off the button off, then pull the wires up through the hole.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
....I've found the easiest way to change a bad button is chisel the top off the button off, then pull the wires up through the hole.
Please explain further. If you chisel the top off from the outside the bottom won't come up tru the whole because it hs the nut on it, or are you a saying you take the head apart then do this and remove the bottom portion and then pull the wires up thru the hole?

pgrzes

Reaction score
I like my Coleman vacs!! Yeah the button is not easy to get to but that brush head is durable as all hell. My Fragramatic had a toggle switch that was worthless, no-one ever turned it off and the brush head would break first time a car ran it over. The tubing and wires suck on any of the shampoo heads.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW I like the Coleman's too since they are relatively trouble free but when you need to work on them some stuff is a PITA to manipulate due to tight quarters. Yes Yes MJ that's quarters - No feedback about Dollar coins being better this time please!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Please explain further. If you chisel the top off from the outside the bottom won't come up tru the whole because it hs the nut on it, or are you a saying you take the head apart then do this and remove the bottom portion and then pull the wires up thru the hole?

Yes, chisel the old button off, remove wires. Thread nut on wires and stick wires up through hole. attach wires to new button and put back in hole. tighten the nut as best as you can.