What's new

Problem with 573 Hydrominder

Etowah

slash007

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the 573 hydrominder in my JC super saver water tank. A couple of months ago, it quit filling. I figured out that I had to replace a main part, so I ended up just buying a new one since the price wasn't much more. It worked fine when I first installed it, but then the next day I was getting complaints that there was no water in the bays. Turns out that the float was down and calling for water, but it wasn't filling. Just touching it seemed to fix the issue, even though it wasn't in any sort of bind that I could see. I tested several times and it worked fine. Two days later, it did the same thing, so I ordered another one with the intention of sending this one back. The second new one worked fine at first, but then did the same thing every 2-3 days. I ended up taking it apart, cleaning everything and then put the float from the original hydrominder on there and it lasted about two weeks before doing it again. Now it does it about once per week and I still can't see anything wrong with it or reason for why it is not filling even though the float is going down smoothly and is not in any kind of a bind.

Anyone else had similar issues or any suggestions? The whole self-serve gets shut down when this happens, so it is a major problem that I really need to find a solution for. Could I really have two brand new hydrominders that are both defective, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't really have a solution, but that's the big problem with using a Hydrominder in this application, they can fail closed. As bad as float valves are, that's what should be in a SS supply tank.

slash007

Reaction score
I don't really have a solution, but that's the big problem with using a Hydrominder in this application, they can fail closed. As bad as float valves are, that's what should be in a SS supply tank.
It worked flawlessly for over 3 years, so it can work fine. I don't mind repairing it if if eventually fails, but having a constant issue and not being able to figure out the problem is something else. I spoke to hydrominder and they didn't really have any suggestions either.

Robert2181

Reaction score
I have 4 in my bays and 6 in my auto. Some have & are still working for more than 5 years. We try and keep at least 2 new And 2 re-built ones on hand. Granted they don't make 'em like use to. With all the different soaps,water chemicals & particles it will happen.

slash007

Reaction score
I have hydrominders all over the place. They all work as intended and occasionally I will have to change a part, but the problem is usually obvious. On this 573, I just can't find any reason for it to behave the way it is.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If just touching it makes it fill, do you think "Maybe" there isn't enough sand in the float? Maybe its not pulling on the magnets hard enough to open the valve? Grasping at straws here? Although I'm with I.B. I don't know if a hydrominder is the best valve to fill your float tanks. I get excellent results using the 2 stage Walters Float valve. Others have good luck with the Jobe Valve.

When I bought the wash, the float tanks had Cleveland Valves installed. Water hammer was really bad and they failed within a few months. Switching them out with the Walters solved the Water Hammer issue and no more over flowing tanks!

Randy

Reaction score
Sammy, What is your incoming water pressure? Hydrominders work best at around 40 psi or so. Is the Hydrominder level? Is the incoming water Hot or Cold? The 573 Hydrominder puts out 44 gpm, do you really need something that big?

slash007

Reaction score
When the float is down, it is all the way down with no more room to go down. One of my first thoughts was that the new floats were not heavy enough, so I replaced it with the old float that had been working for years. I also checked to see if it was lever as I thought that maybe it was somehow hanging or getting in a slight bind.

My incoming psi is 55-60, so that shouldn't be an issue. Incoming water is hot. I only replaced the 573 with another 573 as that was what was in there and had worked well for so long. I also had good experience with all the other hydrominders I have between two washes, though those are 511 or 506 models I think.

I never considered going with a different float valve, but maybe I need to if I can't figure this out. I just feel like either KR had a bad batch of 573 floats, which is unlikely, or there is something really simple causing the issue. Usually after so much trial and error it turns out to be the simplest thing causing the problem.

Randy

Reaction score
Sammy, How hot is the incoming water? The max water temperature that the 593 can handle is 110 deg.

Etowah

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Funny, had an issue Saturday. Spring Broke. Grabbed a spring from another Hydrominder. Valve would not open. Added a second float weight. Issue solved. Apparently weight of 1 float was not compressing spring hard or fast enough. So far no issues.

Rudy

Reaction score
FWIW, I had a HydroMinder issue over the weekend. After pulling my hair out.....it turned out to be a clogged inlet screen. The HydroMinder needs strong, steady inlet water pressure to work properly. Knowing that you have enough "pressure off of the street" is not enough.

slash007

Reaction score
Sammy, How hot is the incoming water? The max water temperature that the 593 can handle is 110 deg.

Hmmm. I use a Raypak boiler and the temp fluctuates, but I'm sure that it goes above 110. Probably around 120. That might be the issue. Are you sure the limit is 110? I can't seem to fine it on the literature.

Diamond, how does that work exactly? Looks like it just screws onto the water valve, but how do you just how high the water in the tank is?

slash007

Reaction score
I removed my 573 hydrominder for that exact same reason and replaced it with this from kleen-rite never had another issue and going on 4 yrs now.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2019-hudson-float-valves-high-temperature-1.aspx
Diamond, I finally replaced my 573 with the Hudson valve today. After a couple of hours, I received a phone call that there was no water coming out of the spray guns. I about lost my mind, but it turns out that my maintenance guy had forgotten to turn on the shut off valve:) Anyhow, I see a lot of replacement parts for the valves. What parts have you had to replace on it over the years? I like to keep extras of any wear items. Thanks.

jaykay

Reaction score
I have the same problem with all new kits-the spring has a large and small end. I cut off one loop of the small end. The tolerances are too close to allow opening, and the spring piles up one loop, before cutting, and has been enough to stop opening at times. This works for me.