What's new

Pro-Press vs Soldered copper fittings

DiamondWash

Reaction score
What's everybody's take on this dilemma, I for one prefer soldered maybe I'm old school but you can work with soldered fittings but now I'm told these pro-press fittings are the way to go for your copper plumbing work, when I first saw these they looked cool also very expensive but they are permanent fittings so no sweating the fitting to make a repair once they are pressed that it's your chit out of luck if it leaks later down the road otherwise there is a lot more work to fix the leak then intended.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
For some projects ... it seems like PEX with PEX push on fittings found at Lowes might also be an alternative good fit. We had our first adventure with PEX last spring & it seemed like it was a good idea. The possible color coding could be worthwhile also.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I propress, solder and braze on a weekly basis at my real job I propress alot of plumbing and have done several washes very reliable, neat looking just expensive better have a account at local supply house for fittings. The time it cuts out is unreal. The tool itself is very pricey. You can PM me if you want to know all the info nuts & bolts wise

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't see any advantage to the ProPress fittings over regular soldered except the speed on a new job. I've seen it done, I agree it's faster, and if it's worked into the bid the extra cost doesn't matter, but for repairs I'll stick with traditional. There have been too many times where I had to heat up and knock fittings apart and reuse them to even consider making repairs any differently.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If it's only up t 3/4" I luv the Sharkbite stuff. Don't know how large you can go or how easily available larger stuff is,. I had plumbers used Pro Press to red a place. A couple fitting leaked after 6 months but I don't know if ot was the product or the labor that caused the issue.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The pros around here seem to be using press on everything.

Ever tried to seat a 2" fitting with moisture in it? ugh. I don't sweat enough to be good at it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score

Ever tried to seat a 2" fitting with moisture in it? ugh. I don't sweat enough to be good at it.
We have nifty tool that blocks moisture for up to 2" copper sweat. We no longer fret anywhere near as much about the water in line issue. On 2" we tend to use 2 torches that are acetylene. One larger more professional acetylene tank but the other could be the mapp-acetylene for those larger than 1-1/4" copper.

For larger projects that do not likely need to be revised ... DIY at that point may not be practical which opens the door for a proven Pro Press contractor. It seems like the investment in the special crimping ability is significant if I remember correctly for those specific plumbing firms.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score

Have to shut down the entire wash for hours just to get the last drips to stop before soldering can be a nightmare. Propress I can hit it with the machine fix it and go home to the family. (Just to be clear guys propress & sharkbite fittings are no where the same)

Propress is becoming super popular first started when they rebuilt the Trade Centers and it took off since all your commercial, Industrial buildings are progressing everything.

The major advantage is in buildings not having to turn off sprinkler heads pull fire watch permits and having valves heat up from soldering and geting messed up. Very efficent when doing alot of piping. I do like the Rigid tool over the Milwalkee brand after using both

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
How spendy $$$ is it to get set oneself up with the Rigid Tool?
Too high for the weekend warrior $3200+ depending on what size jaws you want. $2200 for a nice kit that goes to like 1inch & 3/4. The most awsome tool I have started using is Propressing gas pipe but that's a whole different set of jaws and fittings but no more cutting and threading steel gas pipe making a mess. The average carwash operator doesn't need this stuff unless you have multiple sites and do many installs on equipment then there must have items on the Truck. Some local plumbing supply houses rent propress tools if you have a account.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
My local plumbing supply will rent the tool for $60/day. There is no reason to purchase one unless you're a plumber.

Using it really is easy. I just plumbed in a new hot water heater at one of our washes with propress fittings last week. You dry fit everything, then simply go back and press them all. My main feed's ball valve doesn't seal real well which would have made soldering a pain in the ass. I know there are tricks to so you can get the joint soldered like bread etc. but the real problem comes when you repressurize the system and then find a bad solder joint. Depending on where the bad joint is, you may not have a way to drain that section 100% to fix it. A couple of years ago I had to fix one of our floor heat boilers. Have you ever tried to drain and clean antifreeze from your pipes so you can solder in fittings? Don't bother. Pro-press made it an easy job.

Stan Alan

Reaction score
I have been using Sharkbite XL fittings (they go up to 2") I have used many on repairs to 1-1/2" copper on my water lines and when I had to replace my floor heat boiler. They might be a little pricey but compared to what I pay a plumber otherwise I see them as a great deal. I purchase them at SupplyHouse.com

washnshine

Reaction score
FWIW - l use them in my house for exposed/basement lines, but not behind sheetrock. I have them in my basement going up to sinks, showers etc. and out to my exterior water spigots.

Wouldn’t hesitate to use them in exposed plumbing in my washes either. Just have not been around long enough to consistently pass the longevity test for everything to satisfy me. My parents house has original sweat soldered copper that is 75+ years old. - never a problem. When I see the quick connect stuff go that long without incident, I would put it behind walls too.

water guy

Reaction score
I know for a fact that shark bites will not hold up in a freeze.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I think I saw a wash on a facebook group say their PEX survived a solid freeze. Anyone using that instead of copper or PVC?

water guy

Reaction score
I have access to 2inch pex and fittings and Am definitely thinking about changing out .