What's new

Pricing

seattleguy

Reaction score
I know there is often discussion on here about pricing. I've always been reluctant to raise prices but it's also always been a non issue for the most part when I do so.

I just raised my SS to $5 start for 4 minutes then $.25 for 12 seconds thereafter. Same for credit cards and cash. Autos went up to 12, 14, 16,18.

Vacs are $3 for 3 minutes.

I'll report back. Any thoughts? Im nervous but need to keep up with costs.

Reaction score
I wish I could charge those prices down here in Texas. I always get nervous about raising prices but no one ever has complained. Actually, the last time I did, one of my regular customers commented that he wondered why I waited so long to do so.

seattleguy

Reaction score
It's all relative. I bet a buck goes a lot farther in Texas then Seattle. I'm hoping I scare away some of my crappy customers that leave piles of home trash and have zero regard for our equipment.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just raised my self serve startup from $3 / 4 min to $3 / 3:12.

My IBA is now $8,9,10,12. Raising to $10,12,13,15 with a week.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's all relative. I bet a buck goes a lot farther in Texas then Seattle. I'm hoping I scare away some of my crappy customers that leave piles of home trash and have zero regard for our equipment.
You won't. They'll just become more indignant and demanding.

MEP001

Reaction score
You won't. They'll just become more indignant and demanding.
In my experience, some of the worst customers will stop coming. Every price increase I've ever made has only led to more profit and less work.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
My closest competitor is $1/2min. I'm at $2.50/3:30. I'm hesitant to change anything as my bays are busy. Not quite as busy as his, but I also don't get the messes that he does with $1/start. People blowing out beds and trailers.

OurTown

Reaction score
I think that what we as operators really want is people washing cars/trucks and not other "things". It is difficult to wash a car for $2 or $3 at most places so I don't see running off too many good customers by raising the start price. When the price per minute gets to the point that it costs less to run through the automatic then it might be too expensive for some customers.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I'm touching up all paint, replacing faded awnings - just generally making the place look top notch. I m thinking of adding a preppier to the automatics pre-washing wheels. Any suggestions on what brushes and chemicals to use?

Scrub Free

Reaction score
I have 2 bay touchless and we currently charge 8 10 12 16. That is close to my local competitors prices. We are changing them to 10 12 14 19. This will be higher than my competition. I'm a bit reluctant also, but the last increase I did I had no complaints...I feel like touchless is a bit of a niche and the GOOD customers are more worried about quality and service than the cost. I will also mail out a discount code at the same time as the price increase to soften the impact.

friesmaniac99

Car Wash Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people around me don't really make their prices very high. The gas station near me has a LW4000 with the top being $10. One gas station has a very old Mark VII Merchandiser MVP which only costs $6 dollars, the system though is crap. Ripped panels and there are literally no chemicals at all. Come to Utah we have cheap car wash prices I guess.