What's new

Pricing question

Reaction score
I have read numerous threads about pricing and since you guys have been such a great help I wanted to kick around an idea. So there are two other car washes in town. None of which have a better location than me. The biggest competitor in town is $1.00 for 4:00. I have matched that but it seems way too long of time for $1.00 the other one in town is $1.25 for 4:00. I was thinking about going .50 to start and .45 seconds per quarter. Do you guys think I will still compete at being .50 to start even being a full 1 minute less per dollar? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're the best in town, you can charge appropriately for it. 50¢ to start might be a good grand re-opening price, but you'll be the one getting the worst customers that make the biggest messes if you plan to run it that way. I'm $1.50 for 3 minutes - my nearest competition was $1.00 for 2:40, he raised his price to match mine, the other day his worker said his customers are now saying they prefer my wash but they go back to his because mine is too busy to get in.

Reaction score
If you're the best in town, you can charge appropriately for it. 50¢ to start might be a good grand re-opening price, but you'll be the one getting the worst customers that make the biggest messes if you plan to run it that way. I'm $1.50 for 3 minutes - my nearest competition was $1.00 for 2:40, he raised his price to match mine, the other day his worker said his customers are now saying they prefer my wash but they go back to his because mine is too busy to get in.
My biggest issue is that my car wash has been closed for 3 years so trying to get the word out that it has opened. I might do like you said and drop to 50 just to get the word out that I’m open and to gain traffic and then raise it to at least match the other in town later on.

chaz

Reaction score
I’d rather wash fewer cars and make more money doing it. This is almost 2020.... $1 for four minutes. May as well get a job with eves and weekends off and no worries....likely make more $. Please don’t tell me you are also offering free vacs?!

my s/s is $3 for 4 min. Vac $2 for 6 min. Auto $8, $10, $12, and $14

Reaction score
I’d rather wash fewer cars and make more money doing it. This is almost 2020.... $1 for four minutes. May as well get a job with eves and weekends off and no worries....likely make more $. Please don’t tell me you are also offering free vacs?!

my s/s is $3 for 4 min. Vac $2 for 6 min. Auto $8, $10, $12, and $14
I do not offer free vacs. I just want to make decent money without doing hwy robbery.

Randy

Reaction score
It's a hard call whether or not to raise your prices. On January first the minimum wage in Washington state is going up to $13.50 an hour. Most of the car washes have or are raising there prices. I'm planning on going to $2.75 for 4 minutes in the S/S bays, of that $2.75, 28 cents is Washington state sales tax that we have to pay. At $2.75 I'll be one of the least expensive car washes, most are in the $3.00 - $3.50 range

chaz

Reaction score
Obviously you all know your area better than I would. I do suggest you break down Yoruba cost vs expense. At 25-cents a minute is think you are a long way from highway robbery. Like I said....you probably could make more money with less hassle working for someone as opposed to “owning a job”. But your call....

Rfreeman

Reaction score
My biggest issue is that my car wash has been closed for 3 years so trying to get the word out that it has opened. I might do like you said and drop to 50 just to get the word out that I’m open and to gain traffic and then raise it to at least match the other in town later on.

FastLane just curious what part of the country your located? I'm down here in Tx and if you read on this forum we are cheaper than most members on here. I think your real issue is that it sounds like you just re-opened this wash and you want to get word out and business back. I was in the same position with my first wash 4 years ago and I actually started at .25 to start and that gave you 1 min & 30 secs....BUT I didn't stay there long. I was basically living at the wash on the weekends meeting and greeting EVERYONE as I raised the prices and I didn't really hear many complaints because we have great soaps, pressure, everything is always working or fixed immediately and so forth. In summary, I would lower your price and have a re-grand opening balloons, feather flags, etc. etc. then work your way up as much as you can.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I have customers who say I'm overpriced at $3.50 for 5 mins but we are now 1 of 2 self serve left in our area, we get a lot of vehicles that cannot go through a tunnel or auto so I control that aspect of the market. But the monthly membership trend has been nipping at me as well but that's whole other thread.

Reaction score
Obviously you all know your area better than I would. I do suggest you break down Yoruba cost vs expense. At 25-cents a minute is think you are a long way from highway robbery. Like I said....you probably could make more money with less hassle working for someone as opposed to “owning a job”. But your call....
I do work, this car wash is not my main gig it’s a side hustle. I work for a small oilfield company named schlumberger. Maybe you’ve heard of it? I’m just trying to draw in people to take them away from another business is all.

Reaction score
FastLane just curious what part of the country your located? I'm down here in Tx and if you read on this forum we are cheaper than most members on here. I think your real issue is that it sounds like you just re-opened this wash and you want to get word out and business back. I was in the same position with my first wash 4 years ago and I actually started at .25 to start and that gave you 1 min & 30 secs....BUT I didn't stay there long. I was basically living at the wash on the weekends meeting and greeting EVERYONE as I raised the prices and I didn't really hear many complaints because we have great soaps, pressure, everything is always working or fixed immediately and so forth. In summary, I would lower your price and have a re-grand opening balloons, feather flags, etc. etc. then work your way up as much as you can.
I’m in Floresville TX just south of San Antonio.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
IMO if you want to get the word out do the same thing Tunnels do FREE for a week or two. Get people in the door , see how good you are and let them see what a great operation you have and what the regular price will be - same or slightly more than competition - but for better stuff. I did this once by simply pulling the vaults by simply pulling the coin boxes and vaults and making stickers that said insert quarter - retrieve below. Got people used to the system / price. Kept stuff going by timers.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I did this once by simply pulling the vaults by simply pulling the coin boxes and vaults and making stickers that said insert quarter - retrieve below.
I did this once for a school fundraiser...Pulled the coin boxes and gave each bay $5.00 in quarters....It was for 4 hours on a Saturday....I was there the whole time...Its Amazing what kids can figure out and right under your nose. In just a few hours, One of the bays was up to 400-500 minutes! It was long enough ago that I forget how I reset the Led7....Turning off power didn't do it.

Lesson learned! Never again!

MEP001

Reaction score
I did this once for a school fundraiser...Pulled the coin boxes and gave each bay $5.00 in quarters....It was for 4 hours on a Saturday....I was there the whole time...Its Amazing what kids can figure out and right under your nose. In just a few hours, One of the bays was up to 400-500 minutes! It was long enough ago that I forget how I reset the Led7....Turning off power didn't do it.
You either press one of the buttons on the back or pass a magnet across the front of the timer.

Many years ago I was working on an in-bay auto, and when I was done and leaving I noticed a line of three cars behind one bay where someone was washing, and the others were empty, so I went back inside and the attendant had left the washdown switch on.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm about $1 / 1 minute. $3 start. 2/1 ss/iba. Fully staffed, used car lot, detail shop on site. Free towel dry station. CC acceptance, air shammees in bays, mat brusher, vending galore, 4 vacs, air machine for tires. Be all you can be to the customer and charge whatever the market will bear. It's not a moral issue, it's business.