What's new

Price to convert a SS bay to a Automatic?

Slickside65crew

Reaction score
I'm looking for a price. Lower end to convert a SS bay into a automatic? I have read and see numbers all over the place from 60k to 300k... is there anywhere to find some resources for this?

Eric H

Reaction score
A lot of questions to answer:
How high, wide and long range s the bay you want to convert?
If you need to add on to a bay, do you have floor heat? Will the current boiler support the added square footage? Is this area of floor on its own zone? Will you have doors?
Can the electrical service support the additional load?

The short answer to your real question “is adding a IBA worth it?” The answer is almost always YES but the costs may be a hurdle for some depending on their financial situation.
I saw your other post about buying an existing wash. Your lender may not be willing to extend you additional credit to renovate a wash that was just renovated and has NO available financials.
Does your personal background include any kind of experience that would make you a good Facilities Manager? Construction Manager? Electrician?
If this is something you really want to pursue you should find a local Carwash owner that is willing to mentor you. The group on this forum can get you pointed in a good direction but you probably need a focused advisor to get everything 100%. Small mistakes are costly to fix.
Don’t be afraid to PM me if you want to talk on the phone,

OurTown

Reaction score
Also there's the current water supply, sewer size and gas supply to consider.

Slickside65crew

Reaction score
Exactly my reasoning for offering him significantly less is he has none if this. He can't show anything just land with a building. Land is worth 166-185k roughly. It's almost a acre on a corner in a decent area

second my background and why I think I'd be a good fit.I was a auto mechanic from 16-24 then a millwright from 24-31.So I have full faith I can diasognse any problem and fix 90% of them myself. I'm currently running a small home Cnc bussiness. Which does ok but in reality is 10-12 hours a week. I'm looking to find something to get into I can go there in the AM clean up, check up on stuff and watch cameras untill night and the time is there if I have to run out to fix something I can. I think my background would help since I already built and rebuilt most of the equipment or dealt with something similar

Eugene

Old Man
Reaction score
Plan on spending $200k when all is said and done and it could be more depending on your site .

Eric H

Reaction score
second my background and why I think I'd be a good fit.I was a auto mechanic from 16-24 then a millwright from 24-31.So I have full faith I can diasognse any problem and fix 90% of them myself.
Sounds like you’ll be fine in the Carwash business. Some guys come here with $4,000 to invest and their only experience fixing anything was holding a flashlight when Dad replaced a faucet when they were 12 years old.

soapy

Reaction score
I would guess minimum at 200K. More if you need to upsize utilities. 2 inch water line is advisable. Depending on weather needs if you are in cold weather you will need doors and heaters that could add 30K. Bay size should be 16 feet wide by at least 30 feet long with at least 10 foot high doors and 12 foot or more ceilings.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have read and see numbers all over the place from 60k to 300k...
It could easily get above $300k if you go with new equipment. The main variables are whether you go with new or used equipment and what format you select. You might be able to go with a used friction unit with no dryers and stay close to $60k. A new touchless with dryers could require upgrading both the water and electric which alone could cost $60k. There are far too many variables to narrow it down any further until you have in mind what you want.