What's new

Price increase

acbruno

Reaction score
I am looking at increasing my prices too.

Right now I have my pricing set for $2 for 4:00 minutes which is one quarter for 30 seconds. It’s been this way for 8+ years and all my competitors have gone to $2.50. I’m thinking it is time for me to increase prices as well before the busy season. I’m thinking I’ll keep the minimum at $2 but adjust the time per quarter to 20 seconds. That would be $2 for 3:40 minutes. I don’t think this is too big a change to get people worked up. I do keep a clean place and reliable equipment with generally happy customers.

One drawback, I use LED9 timers that will all have to manually be altered to my new pricing. Since I am lucky to have all the default pricing from the manufacturer, I never had to re-adjust the timer after resetting so I will need to remember when I reset a timer to adjust the price again.

I feel like I should send out a notice to my fleet customers in advance of the change but for normal customers, maybe I should put up a small sign in each bay to communicate the price/time changes. I’m going to have to word this just right. Any thoughts?

Would you put up a sign some time before the increase to post it is coming or just do it?

Thanks!

chaz

Reaction score
Here's what I did. One Rainy day about a year ago, I changed all the signage in my bays to refelct my new price, (kept the time the same and went from 2$ to 3$ for first 4 minutes). Then I logged into my Hamilton DAN, and updated the price. No notice given, and no note posted about the new rates. Very few comments (old price was in place 8years), and most understood, the ones who didn't like the new price are typically the messy folks. I bet you'll have more negative reaction with the same price and less time. Raise the price and enjoy the increased profits. Good luck!

Kevin James

Reaction score
Are you freaking kidding!! Why wouldn’t you raise your price if everyone in your area is at $2.50? Why not go to $2.25 for 3:30 minutes now and then go to $2.50 in 6 months are so. I’d send a letter to my fleet customers, but I wouldn’t put up a sign at the car wash.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
ACBRUNO:

You'll have no problem raising the start up price to $2.50. Your place is clean with up to date equipment, and I'm sure your customers appreciate that. In my opinion, giving customer's less time gives them the impression that your trying to pull one over on them. But raising prices is a straight forward message.
I went to $2.50 about three years ago and had little or no negative feedback. I was at $2.00 for 12 years. I put up new decals, guns and hoses to freshen the place up. and I did put up small signs by the coin acceptors explaining the increase and thanking them for their continued support.
Omaha has a large sewer use fee increase starting this year, so I'm sure this won't be our last price increase.

Keith

chaz

Reaction score
$3 start for 4 first four minutes, I assume! WHY WAIT. start earning more $ now. good luck

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
$3 start for 4 first four minutes, I assume! WHY WAIT. start earning more $ now. good luck
laziness. etc.

i have to get new decals made. going to the sign shop tuesday to 'make it happen'

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
Im at $2.50 start and 5 minutes, I have a new facility with large LED lit bays, high pressure and lots of options to choose from. After reading this pricing discussion im wondering if I'm to cheap!? I've only been open for 9 months so would this be to early to do a price change? My hope was to make my money on volume but that may be the wrong way to look at it. Suggestions??

chaz

Reaction score
Yeah Jeff, I'd raise the price. I'm ok with less volume (less wear and tear, lower expenses,etc) while making more money. S/s $3 for first 4 min. I'm among the highest in the area, and that is ok.

Randy

Reaction score
Jeff, I wouldn’t hesitate one minute to raise my prices to $3.00 for 4 minutes at an newer facility.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
raised mine to $3 startup. just under 4 min.

no complaints.

looks good so far.

i am much happier cleaning up messes from those i know spent the minimum ( mudders and plow trucks etc)

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Me, too...But at $1 per minute.
CC customers get 5 minutes to start.

K Lazy K

Reaction score
I keep my washclean and in good working order with all the bells and whistles. My self serve has all the modern functions as well as air shamees in each bay. We accept coins, bills, and credit cards in the bays. I made the move from $2 for 3:30 to $3 for for 4:00 last week. I have not had one complaint and it does feel a little better when shoveling up mud to know at least I'm getting paid a little better to do it.

K

chaz

Reaction score
Just adjusted our recipes and pricing on our automatic. My auto wash is now $8, $10, $11, and $13. I dropped my $6 and added an $11. Only my top wash that went from $12 to $13, was raised. It's been only a day, but so far my average wash is $11.02, up 70cents. I just hope it keeps up

guitarandy

Reaction score
Dang I'm cheap! I just went to $1.25 for 3 min. and thought it was a big increase over $1.25 for 3 min 20 sec. I need to look at another increase soon.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
When I bought my wash (in 1994), it was $1.25 to start. Within an hour of closing the sale, it was $1.50 to start.

Huh...only took twenty years to get it to $3/3minutes! I'm pretty sure my expenses have more than doubled since 1994.?!.

guitarandy

Reaction score
The price should reflect cost to own and operate at your location. It will be different at all locations. For instance my two locations 12 miles apart have significantly different water bills and clean up expenses. My return on investment is 20% NOT counting my labor. This is still probably a little soft. An increase in price is in order.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Have been at $3 for 4 min for over a month, and super happy with the results. I like putting in 3 tokens, and now having enough time to clean a bay, and getting another dollar from bucket washers. I believe for those that spend the minimum they are now leaving with a cleaner car. Most of the comments so far, could not believe you didn't raise the price years ago. The 4 min time and 3$ seems for most to be a more generous time than before @$2 for 3 min. About a dozen calls that didn't see the new price, but we're then fine.
Should have done this 2 yrs ago

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Also super profitable as I am thinking of selling?

Last edited:

andres

Reaction score
Raised my prices from $2.5 /4 mins and $5/10 mins to $3.00/mins and $6/10 mins. I am expecting an increase of revenue of 13%. Let you know in a couple months