What's new

Pressure

Etowah

Roz

Reaction score
Isn't that what the regulator is for. Set to X PSI and anything above that gets returned to the input of the pump. Then if more volume is needed based on the larger tip size, less would be returned to the pump. As long as the pump and deliver adequate volume at a given pressure it would maintain the pressure. If you put a tip that would require more gpm than your pump can produce at a given pressure, that should be only time you see a pressure drop.
I think the regulator found on most pumps is just an upper limit for the pump. It establishes the psi you see on the gauge based on the various pressures found in the system from the hose, the wand, and the tip. When you pull the wand handle it allows more volume to go thru the handle which in turn reduces the pressure on the pump gauge. The regulator and the pump are static (to my knowledge)

MEP001

Reaction score
I think the regulator found on most pumps is just an upper limit for the pump.
They're either a balanced pressure regulator or an unloader which functions in the same way except with a shutoff gun. They don't work on flow, that's why the pressure doesn't fluctuate wildly when you pull and release the trigger.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I ran an experiment with four tips, 2505, 06, 07, and 08. The psi drop when the trigger is pulled is 50psi (05), 150 (06), 300 (07) and 450 (08). Basically a log graph. We settled on a 2505 as the kick feels the best and seems to impress our customers.

What size is your supply line? There is a relationship between flow, hose length, and hose diameter. 3/8" should be fine though.