What's new

Pressure gun pain

harpua

Reaction score
About six months ago switched from Paraplate guns to Suttner guns. We have always used Paraplate guns (18+yrs) at all of the locations, but last winter we seemed to get a rash of them that were leaking right out of the box. The Suttner guns are lighter, and much cheaper so seemed to be worth changing out to them. HOWEVER - of late I am getting complaints from customers in two flavors: 1) Angle of grip makes wrist sore as it can constantly push gun UP, and 2) Customers having tough time with grip strength required if they wash for any duration.

In the past, we could adjust the paraplate gun trigger both in travel and squeeze-resistance. As well as the angle to the wandpipe was more of a 90. I love the lighter suttner, and $$ point but not if customers dont dig it.

Anyone had a similar complaint or similar experience that they resolved?

Regards,
-chris-

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve been using the Suttner 1500 guns for years. We’ve never had a complaint about the guns. The person who washes out the bays has pretty small hands and I asked her if she has had any problems with the guns and she said No. She said the guns are light and the handle is easy to pull. We run the gun pressure at 1500- 1600 psi. with a 1505 nozzle so it does have some kick to it when you pull the handle.

Eric H

Reaction score
I think I have used both of those guns in the past and I currently have kleen-rite GUK600w. The kleen-rite gun is lightweight and easy to pull the trigger.
I used to have a problem with some guns not having a large enough weep hole that was giving me problems. I think they were paraplate or possibly Spraying Systems but connot remember. Have had no problems with freeze up s using the kleen-Rite guns, but I do weep more than most other washes.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I have used the Paraplate guns for 30 years. The inlet being in front of the trigger makes for a much better balanced gun. Combined with 1/4 hp hose it seems almost weight less. Unfortunately the quality of the gun isn't what it used to be. However I still use them.

Stuart

Reaction score
Have been using 1500w Suttner for a number of years now. Decent gun. Something I am always checking is to make sure the wand pipe is always straight. The slightest bend makes the hand work harder to control the gun. The wand may look straight but a closer look where the wand threads into the gun can have even the slightest bend which is difficult to notice. You'll be able to notice this when the wand is unscrewed from the gun.
Another thing I watch for is what I call "the trigger travel". The distance of the trigger from the trigger guard on a new gun vs the distance on the used gun. On an older gun the trigger travel distance is much shorter to pull and takes more energy to hold for high pressure. This is caused by --
*the actuator rod, which pushes the ball off the seat inside the gun to open for HP, getting shorter (install
a repair kit)
*the pin or button the actuator rod rubs against to wear out (I've been able to remove rod and rotate it to an area not worn)
*the trigger hinge pin hole is getting worn out (replace the gun. save the brass and recycle to get a few bucks after a few guns and swivels)
to name a few and the most common in my operation. Hope this helps

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Thats the most Painful Gun in the industry at the crazy angle they put the wand at. Expecially for Women who is the main money spender of america, So uncomfortable, go with JE Adams wands so tough and comfortable or the Kleen rite.

harpua

Reaction score
Appreciate input everyone - especially good to hear I am not just getting a bad lot of the Paraplates; sounds like their quality is suffering for others as well.

@Stuart, a poor functioning gun is not something I considered and a good thought. I am so used to replacing upon failure/leak, rather than for different grades of performance. The wand being bent is also an issue - using the flex wands in cold climates - they tend to get temporarily "bent" when not replaced in the wall holster all the way. So unless the customer manually straightens - it has an arc to it.

Sounds like I need to order a few different models to test out.

Cheers,
-chris-

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve used to use the Kleen-Rite GUK600w Gun. We had a lot of problems with them sticking in the full on position. When a customer would put start the high pressure gun it would fly out of the holder, damaged a few cars before we could replace them with the Suttner 1500 gun. We make our own flex wands, they look something like these http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-29926-15-blue-flex-wand-golden-gate-series.aspx we’ve been making our own wands for at least 20 years.

Stuart

Reaction score
I have not been a fan of flex wands mostly due to the wand is never really straight and for wash down of bays there is the stress on the wrist as well for the customer washing the car. The guys who really want to wash in the hard to reach places find a way.
I too have found that in the winter months my hands get fatigued quicker than in the warmer months- I think just due to the cold.

MEP001

Reaction score
I went back to the Giant 21295A gun - it's a tad heavier, but it's much more comfortable and very durable and reliable. The only downside is that the plastic is hard - if you get a lot of people abusing the equipment, Adams is the way to go. They're nearly unbreakable and hold up well too, they're just not as nice a grip.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Had Flex wands in past and it ENCOURAGES off road vehicles and muddy vehicles I use a straight wand