What's new

Presoak question

Chris7406

Reaction score
I'm in MN and they use road salt which is great for business. Out of curiosity, anyone change their presoak for the season? I've been using an alkaline year round but would their be a benefit to changing it in the winter to neutralize the salt? A little late now being the snow is gone figured I'd get some insight.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Only benefit to changing to something that purportedly removes salt is a marketing twist since we know salt dissolves in Di Hydrogen Oxide.

washnshine

Reaction score
I'm in MN and they use road salt which is great for business. Out of curiosity, anyone change their presoak for the season? I've been using an alkaline year round but would their be a benefit to changing it in the winter to neutralize the salt? A little late now being the snow is gone figured I'd get some insight.
Salt is easy to remove- compared to other oily films and soils. You should not have to change products to effectively remove salt. You might find the need to change chemistry in spring/summer to attack those soils more effectively. Touchfree washing always seemed easier in the winter than the summer to me.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would just change the name, Pre-soak/Salt remover. Or, if you have a bug remover selection, change it to bug & salt remover. That may push people to use those lesser used functions. Don't change any chemistry at all. You won't be misrepresenting anything, since either will remove salt.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Most munis and Colorado’s DOT apply brine mixtures that often include Mag Chloride.
It’s difficult to remove so many operators have a “seasonal” selection on the dial...
Mag Chloride Remover in the winter, Bug Remover for the rest of the year.

Some just swap out PreSoak for Mag Chloride...others just use PreSoak year round.

MEP001

Reaction score
Someone had the bright idea to add a second presoak selection to my SS before I got hold of it and labeled it "Bug Off." We don't really have a bug season. Then the guy was too cheap or lazy to change the chemicals back to regular presoak for most of the year, so most of the time the presoak basically did nothing.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about changing to a low ph foam brush or HP soap during road salt season?
MY HP is always Low PH from KR. Why would low PH make a difference in Salt Season?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about changing to a low ph foam brush or HP soap during road salt season?
Many moons ago I ran Low PH foam brush until I realized the exposed aggregate path from the brush to the floor drain was rapidly enhanced!
It did a great job on windshield eyebrows and chrome.

washnshine

Reaction score
Many moons ago I ran Low PH foam brush until I realized the exposed aggregate path from the brush to the floor drain was rapidly enhanced!
It did a great job on windshield eyebrows and chrome.
Wow - that was a strong acid that was in that chem if it was roughing up your concrete. Usually a low pH friction/lubricating soap will have a milder acid like citric acid in it and they are also usually diluted down pretty far since they are used with friction. What you were using almost sounds like a touchless lo pH presoak.