What's new

Preserving meter box decals

Etowah

washme1

Reaction score
Last August I replaced the decal on my Unitec WSII. It was $150. A luxury car dealer in my area applies a clear plastic "shield" to protect the hoods of cars from rock chips. They gave me a piece which I cut and applied to my decal before installing. It has been in place seven months and I can tell you my decal is still in mint condition. If it does get nicked, sunlight heals it. I will be applying it to my SS meter boxes next time I replace the decals. The product is called EXPEL Ultimate Self Healing Film.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Interesting - I've seen such films on cars before, never thought about using it since I drive an old pickup. On the meter boxes sounds like a good idea, I think I'll stay tuned.
I see on their website that its not horribly expensive...

washme1

Reaction score
I had it applied to my Mini Cooper....$1000. No rock chips, guaranteed for five years. When it has gotten a blemish, the sun heals it perfectly. The ACW decal I replaced looked awful due to scars by credit cards, keys, rings, etc.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Last August I replaced the decal on my Unitec WSII. It was $150. A luxury car dealer in my area applies a clear plastic "shield" to protect the hoods of cars from rock chips. They gave me a piece which I cut and applied to my decal before installing. It has been in place seven months and I can tell you my decal is still in mint condition. If it does get nicked, sunlight heals it. I will be applying it to my SS meter boxes next time I replace the decals. The product is called EXPEL Ultimate Self Healing Film.
washme1,

Based on first hand experience ... can it separate from the decal surface long term wise? The reason why I am asking is because we have some reverse printed clear Lexan that we would not want to chance damaging if the special film eventually had a problem & actually needed to be removed.

On the flip side if it is too easy to remove ... some pranksters might try to peel it off of the decal.

Can you carefully with an Exacto knife or whatever cut out any openings on your decal such as for your rotary switch shaft?

Thanks ... mike king koin

washme1

Reaction score
If you look at my WSII decal, there is no way to tell it has the protective shield. If you look at my car, the only way to tell is if you look closely, you can clearly see a line where the protective film stops. They only cover the hood about two feet from the front as that is where the rock chips occur. I have a friend who removed the product from the side mirror assemblies on his Porsche Turbo and it looks perfect, no indication it was ever covered. If you are considering it for your clear Lexan, I'd suggest you consult with an installer at a dealership or contact the manufacturer. I used an Exacto knife to cut the holes in my application with no problem. Pranksters would never know you have it, it is totally invisible.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I actually used it on all my outside doors at my house.
When I got my dog 9 years ago he would (and still does) scratch at my doors when he wants in.
This caused me to have to repaint that section of the doors constantly.
I installed it from the door handle down to the bottom of the door and towards the door frame.
Nine years later I have not had to paint the doors again. Works great

soapy

Reaction score
I had a company in Texas make me custom made decals for my coin box face plates for about $25 each. Not to bad to replace them at that.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Sort of on the same topic...Early on after buying the wash, I had trouble with the meter box decals falling off a few months after putting them on. I discovered if you take alcohol and cleaned the aluminum face plate, they last a lot longer. Since doing this, I haven't had any decals fall off in over 2 years.. I realize this doesn't help protect them from abuse, but it sure has helped mine to last longer.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I used clear plastic vinyl on my new WSII decal. Cost...about 15 cents, still looks good after a year. I posted a picture of it a while back.

Jmkost

Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys think on your feet and come up with solutions to overlays and decals. I have been applying ski-saver over my ginsan panels for the better part of 20 years, can say it has saved me a pocket full.

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
If you look at my WSII decal, there is no way to tell it has the protective shield. If you look at my car, the only way to tell is if you look closely, you can clearly see a line where the protective film stops. They only cover the hood about two feet from the front as that is where the rock chips occur. I have a friend who removed the product from the side mirror assemblies on his Porsche Turbo and it looks perfect, no indication it was ever covered. If you are considering it for your clear Lexan, I'd suggest you consult with an installer at a dealership or contact the manufacturer. I used an Exacto knife to cut the holes in my application with no problem. Pranksters would never know you have it, it is totally invisible.
Washme1 & others,

A local Verizon Mobile Phone Store just put a $25 very thin special tempered glass protectant cover for my phlablet (Samsung Galaxy Note 3). I sure wish I could come up with something that good for our Dog Wash Touch Screens. I have only had the phone shield for about 5 days now but there is no question it is more durable than that the polycarbonate covers I was using before on that large cell phone touchscreen.

Any sources for custom sizes of that good of material... on the other hand ... maybe Washme1's EXPEL Ultimate Self Healing Film is as good or even better to cover the touchscreens with & so they still function as touchscreens????

mike walsh king koin of bismarck