What's new

Prep soap for IBA's

soonermajic

Reaction score
I saw Kleen Rite had some In-Bay Turbo powder on sale for $57, down from $73, & makes 55 gallons.
Question: It dilutes to 64/1. if I use it as a prep soap to put on cars , as we are pre-washing them, before they go into the IBA, Should I mix the 55 gallons..then put in a spray bottle & apply directly onto the cars? That is pretty cheap. my guys waste a LOT of pre-wash soap & pink foam brush soap, pre-washing the cars. however, the ENTIRE town expects that to be done, & they have actually built quite a succesful business doing this.
Or what do you guys suggest, as far as mixing goes?

MEP001

Reaction score
A lot of washes around here that prep are mixing with a Hydrominder, pumping it with a Flojet, then mixing with air just like SS presoak to a prep gun in front of the auto bay.

Why bother with pink foam brush soap for prep? Just use cheap foam brush soap or Witconate.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Very simple minded preppers, who dona great job, but are also very wasteful.
What KR product # are you talking about for cheap FB soap?
That set up for prepping sounds great, but IBA is a LONG ways from equipment room & I'm using the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid).

soapy

Reaction score
The 64 to 1 means that you should add 64 parts water to 1 part of the 55 gallon drum you mix up. Applying it direct undiluted to a car would not be a good idea. ( way to strong) If you have another 55 gallon drum mix a little less than 1 gallon of the in bay turbo powder a barrel with water and use that final mixture as you spray bottle mix or brush application. Be careful of using it in direct sunlight and don't let it dry on the car during prepping.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Thanks Soapy,

What do you guys think about using Simoniz Correct? It is only $47 for 50lb box, & mixes to 55 gal drum. My preppers will burn through 55 gallon drum EVERY week! Doing about 45 cpd.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We mix up our own prewash. We took a 30 gallon drum and cut the top off. We go to the Dollar Tree and buy 4 – bottles of 32 oz. Awesome All-Purpose Concentrated Cleaner and 6 – bottles of 50 oz. Awesome Ultra Deluxe Spring Bouquet Dish Detergent. As we fill the 30 gallon drum with hot water we add the bottles of product, we fill the drum to the 25 gallon mark. This mix works great and foams and cleans like a bastard. The best part it cheap $10 for 25 gallons. We tried the KR In-Bay Turbo powder and didn’t work very well, dropped out of solution and doesn’t foam very much.

wash12

Reaction score
We mix up our own prewash. We took a 30 gallon drum and cut the top off. We go to the Dollar Tree and buy 4 – bottles of 32 oz. Awesome All-Purpose Concentrated Cleaner and 6 – bottles of 50 oz. Awesome Ultra Deluxe Spring Bouquet Dish Detergent. As we fill the 30 gallon drum with hot water we add the bottles of product, we fill the drum to the 25 gallon mark. This mix works great and foams and cleans like a bastard. The best part it cheap $10 for 25 gallons. We tried the KR In-Bay Turbo powder and didn’t work very well, dropped out of solution and doesn’t foam very much.
Is this for a touchless IBA? I tried the spray bottle test with multiple chemicals and the awesome cleaner worked the best, now I want to test it inside my bay to see how it does out of the machine but not sure how to go about that. Thinking of running it straight as it dilutes with water through the arch.

washzone

Reaction score
A few years ago we thought about using awesome in all of our washes but wasnt sure if it would be ok for cars, as i had used it to get old wax of floor in our laundromat that we had just bought and it was the only thing that took it off, it was black and had been on the floors for who knows how many years. So we thought it would probably strip wax from cars and leave them dull looking?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
A few years ago we thought about using awesome in all of our washes but wasnt sure if it would be ok for cars, as i had used it to get old wax of floor in our laundromat that we had just bought and it was the only thing that took it off, it was black and had been on the floors for who knows how many years. So we thought it would probably strip wax from cars and leave them dull looking?
Good point.

With that, I look at my customers' cars, and I usually wonder when was the last time, if ever, they applied wax to the finish. lol

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Is this for a touchless IBA? I tried the spray bottle test with multiple chemicals and the awesome cleaner worked the best, now I want to test it inside my bay to see how it does out of the machine but not sure how to go about that. Thinking of running it straight as it dilutes with water through the arch.

As far as using awesome as a touch free presoak you can mix a solution on site much cheaper in bulk than you can buy Las awesome cleaner. There's nothing magic about LAs- Looking at the MSDS It has super high levels of alkalinity for a consumer product, some sufactant, butyl and a a little d-limonene. You could probably cut it 2 or 3:1 and it will still be a good presoak. I can mix on site much cheaper.

All cleaners are pretty much a mixture of primarily three things mixed with water- surfactant, solvents, and an alkaline builder. Some have added ingredients to help with hard water, etc, but the bulk of what you're buying is this. LAs is no different, other than the alkalinity is higher than most products.

I'm agree with MEP that you should build a blend station and pump the product out there. It allows for consistency and should help speed throughput. If they are washing cars by hand you don't need super high levels of alkalinity. Just a little will help. It will also make the guys look a lot more professional.

Kevin James

Reaction score
No this mix is for Prep soap for the IBA's. Are you looking for something that is real cheap to use as a IBA soap?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mix up simoniz correct powder with simoniz foam additive. I use it for: IBA presoak, SS / HP soap, SS/Foamy Brush , detail wash soap, prep soap for IBA ( in a barrel with a brush so customers can self-prep if they want.

A 55 costs about $67! For prep bucket, I use a splash in 1/3 of a 55 gal drum and it works great. When the soap gets dirty looking I dump it and re-fill.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Would Correct w/Simoniz Foam additive foam up better rhan adding a gallon of Foam Brush, like KR's "Bubble Up"" ?

washnshine

Reaction score
Would Correct w/Simoniz Foam additive foam up better rhan adding a gallon of Foam Brush, like KR's "Bubble Up"" ?
I am sure they both foam up well, but if you look at the msd the Correct will have more of a bite and probably more cleaning ability. If it can be used as an IBA preasoak, it will be a stronger cleaner than a foam brush detergent which are usually fairly neutral high lubricity soaps.