What's new

Preauthorization bigest complaint on crypto reader

wyatt

Reaction score
My biggest complaint is that I have cryptopay on my automatic which means it does the same pre auth as my ss bays and vacuums. I get more complaints about the automatic than anything simply because people assume that it will only charge what is owed. I feel like in the ss bays people don’t actually know how much they used so I rarely get complaints for the temporary pre auth. I called cryptopay but they said they can’t delete the pre auth on the automatic only.

boywonder

Reaction score
With Washcard you can adjust the amount depending on the piece of equipment. Sometimes having a different amount then what can be charged would be an easy way of determining whether its a pre-auth or an actual charge.

slash007

Reaction score
Mine is $10, but it really should be $15 since that's my max spend on one swipe. Might get murdered though if people see $15 hold as they want to kill me for the $10.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Had 3 calls just today from people complaining about our $14.75 Pre-auth charge even after I explained it not once not twice but three-times each call they still seemed to have a pissy fit saying that's not fair and so I explained to them the McDonald's story I was told at an ICA show it goes something like this "If you order $24.80 worth of food at the kiosk and pull up to the window and open your wallet and find out you only have a $10 bill what happens next?". Prior to you activating any of our equipment we have to be sure you are financially able to do so.

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
I love all things cryptopay but ive been dealing with this for years. I had swipers on everything vacs, vending, ss bays, and auto but the negative reviews I received from the preauth charge made me change my strategy. I initially tried lowering my preauth fee but then I started getting some kickback. at first it was customers but now banks are throwing everything back on the merchant since the switch over. We now bear all the burden so I have since raised my fees back to my max limit and have signage along with website and voicemail explaining fees.... still they persist

Last edited:

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
the main advantage with cryp is they bundle the charges and is pci compliant, so it lowers our processing fees but with this we get the preauth charge to verify funds which is where all the headaches emanate.

I'm hoping they are working on something big because I just revamped my website and tried to include a hyperlink and the builder told me they are way out of date using old platform and software

New Washdog

Reaction score
Cryptopay is new to us. But we have had issues with charge-backs on Pre-paid CC's with the amount over the initial hold amount being disputed. With these prepaid-CC, and no name attached to the card we have been unable to collect anything over the hold amount. When a CC is swiped multiple times only one hold amount is taken. This has happened to us twice, and looking through our transactions we have only processed two Pre-paid CC's both with multiple swipes.

To help combat losses we have raised our hold amount to the max charge per swipe. I was on the phone with Cryptopay and they are working on a solution but they would not give any details.

Anyone else have this issue?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Years ago I changed my max. from $15 to $8.32 (just randomly picked that figure) because I would receive many calls every week complaining about the $15 charge.
Calls went down to 1-2 a month after the change.
Today it’s $9.13. Still get only 1-2 calls per month.

Weissgm

Reaction score
biggest question we get for credit card use, is the pre authorization charge, is there a small sign about 2 to 3 inches square that explain"s pre authorization charge and when its refunded. looking for a quality decal that can be posted on machines
We have a local store make stickers and yes I agree they never read them but it's a start when they call.