What's new

Power out AGAIN

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
It's hard to run a business in California. Even harder when they keep turning off the power.

My power is out again, expected to be out for several days. The utility has cut power due to low humidity and winds picking up.

My wife threw out $500+ worth of food a few weeks ago after the last outage.

With no power, there is no wash business or income. And my weep runs continuously in a power outage. Building up a water bill. And of course the sewer bill is calculated at 3x the water bill.

I'm out of town, away from the wash, with non way to monitor it. No cameras, etc.

With all the power out, all the lights in the town are out as well. So the two legged night creatures will be running rampant.

Welcome to California.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
That sound like hell. Only advice I can give you? Maybe consider moving to a free(er) state?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have a Honda EU2000 generator. The newest is a EU2200. It's basically a 110V outlet powered by gasoline. It's very fuel efficient. You can buy a 5 gallon extended run accessory tank that will run it for up to three days. Sounds like you guys could maybe use one.

I bet a weep controller run on an inverter/ battery setup might be worth looking into also if this is going to be a common occurrence.

OurTown

Reaction score
How about a smaller (only for lights, surveillance, alarm, weep) permanently installed natural gas or propane generator with auto switch?

water guy

Reaction score
Why are you away from the wash did you have to evacuate?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
A portable generator requires me to be there while it is running, for venting issues. A larger one is $6,000 and up, probably closer to $10,000 considering added electrical, for a few days use here and there. Plus I don't really have a spot to locate it, possibly on the roof. And they are all sold out since these blackouts are becoming a common thing.

I think a power inverter with deep cycle L16 batteries is the best way. It would power a couple of lights long term, plus my surveillance system. That's maybe $3,000 or so, plus cost and time to install.

This power situation in California is bad. With a day's notice before losing power, the supermarket across the street brought in a truckload of dry ice. They are very hopeful it is enough, and that they don't lose their entire frozen food section. So I guess a lot of businesses have it much worse than me.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Why are you away from the wash did you have to evacuate?
No, I am an absentee owner. I do own property in the area so I can stay there when working at the wash. But my residence is 3 hours away.

MEP001

Reaction score
I bet a weep controller run on an inverter/ battery setup might be worth looking into also if this is going to be a common occurrence.
I would think so too, a surveillance DVR, an alarm, a Weep Mizer and a solenoid all together would be about 100 watts. A couple of 6 amp solar panels, a deep cycle battery and a power inverter to run all those things full-time would cost $500-600.

Randy

Reaction score
I have a good friend who lives outside of Jackson California back in the hills. When he found out about the possible outages he installed a solar system with a propane generator as backup. He said it works great. I read the other day that PG&E said that the PG&E customers should expect 20 years of wind outages before they get the grid rebuilt to the point that it will be safe in windy conditions. I’d install a solar system and or propane/ natural gas generator. Given your location it might be hard to install a solar system, to many trees.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I have a good friend who lives outside of Jackson California back in the hills. When he found out about the possible outages he installed a solar system with a propane generator as backup. He said it works great. I read the other day that PG&E said that the PG&E customers should expect 20 years of wind outages before they get the grid rebuilt to the point that it will be safe in windy conditions. I’d install a solar system and or propane/ natural gas generator. Given your location it might be hard to install a solar system, to many trees.
I just got word. Power will be restored soon, after about 48 hours off. But it will go down again Saturday and stay off for an even longer period.

I think some solar panels on the roof, keeping batteries charged, with an inverter for essential equipment is needed.

washnvac

Reaction score
Turn your weep feed line off for the warm months. I do that at all my locations.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Power update.

The PGE utility shut power off (again) on Saturday afternoon. Third outage this month.

As of Monday night, it is still off (2+ days.) Rumors are flying that power will be kept shut off until Friday. If so that would be 8 days.

This is affecting a huge area of a very large State. It is going to have a very large effect on the California economy. The market across the street lost their entire frozen food section. Businesses can't open, gas stations can't pump gas, ATM machines are down, and it goes on and on.