What's new

Powdered Soap; Long-term test

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I am using purple passion with super Kleen powder. I use 1/3 of a 5 gallon of purple passion in every 55 gallon drum I make. I can't get it to foam right. Should I add more purple passion or switch to simonize? Customers don't like that it goes on streaky. It is cleaning very well and has increased my business while decreasing my costs. I only stir for 1/2 hour once a day and mix with hot water. I have never seen any powder drop out of solution even if I leave a barrel without stirring for days then transfer it to another. Overall I am very happy, I just need better foaming to work on my customers' perception. Oh both my machines are LW4000's

bigleo48

Reaction score
Indiana,

You need to replace your injectors, with dual injectors (on tip for presoak & one for foamer). I would also switch to Simoniz Foamer and adjust as needed. I have a M5 and I think I use the smallest tip for the foamer and one of the largest ones for the presoak, so I use much less foamer than you do with your setup. This will correct your foaming inconsistencies and have a 'set-and-forget' side on the m5. If you need stronger soap, just put a few more scoops in the drum.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
So with a dual tip, it should foam. Mine foams but it sprays in streaks. It doesn't most properly. Works fine with liquid presoak. Will the dual tips and simoniz foamed solve my problem?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Indiana Wash,

I think the foamer will work better. The purple presoak is a presoak and if the pH is different than the powder, then it can interfere with the cleaning. Also, the presoak in the drum mixed with the purple presoak you use as a surfactant may not mix well...its not really meant to, so IMHO the foamer will work better.

Your laser LP presoak & foamer option is mixed via an injector with the LP water from the LP tank. It is then mixed with air in the manifold. So you need to discover what the right balance between the all three. Keep in mind that if you use more air, your application may look better, but you have less presoak so it will be weaker. So get to what looks good, then titrate the presoak. If its weak, then make it stronger. Once you get it, then that'll be it...not to be messed with again.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like these concepts alot and have learned from this thread as well as from the whale, soapy and bigleo. Thank you guys! I am putting out a good clean car saving $ and having fun learning what works best at my place.

I like the idea of dual-tip injectors and using a foamer or booster in this way of application.

It's fun to see chemical costs go down while the cars get cleaner and I learn more.

gearhead

Reaction score
Indiana Wash,

I agree with Bigleo. I to tried the PP with the Super Kleen powder and wasn't happy with the foaming. I switched to the liquid Simonize and it was MUCH better. I use 1 gal to the 55 mix. I like a lot of show and so do my customers. I have absolutely no issues with rinsing either.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Ok, which liquid simonize did you switch to? Are you mixing it in your 55 gal barrel or using a dual injector? Do you still use any PP?

gearhead

Reaction score
I use the one gal jugs (KR #GL0235). This makes it a lot easier. Just dump it in and mix wit the powder in your 55gal drum. I mix @ 54 gals water W/50lbs KR Super Kleen. This way there is no need for a dual port injector. I also use 1/2 gal of the MC liquid. It is a cleaning enhancer. I have found with this there is little to no drop out. I mix once in the morning and once before I leave in the afternoon. Just because.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am really liking the Simoniz Foam additive mixed with KR Super Kleen powder! Looks great on the car. Lots of foam action and good coverage.

ice clean cars coming out too.

WikiWash

Reaction score
Hey Bigleo! What is it that you like about the Simoniz Correct over other powders? I just recently picked up a few boxes to try out from KR in addition to the Simoniz Foamer. I am going to hook it up with a dual hydrominder. One side with Correct the other with the Foamer so I have the adjust-ability of both. KR recommends mixing 1 lb of powder / 1 gallon of water at at 40-60/1 ratio for your final dilution. Do you use hydrominders 506 or a 511, If so what size tip do you use to meet the recommended titration of 18 drops I believe KR recommends? How many drops do you look for in your titration? Also what size tip should I start with to dial in my foamer? Thank you

bigleo48

Reaction score
WikiWash,

Hmmmm...it seems to work best. I also found some of the other powders too fine and so would dust up while pouring into the water (a bit of a safety concern).

I use an dual injector and mix accordingly to titration. My employee checks the soaps, but 18 drops sounds about right to me. Then if we have a significant rain spell, or if cars just seem harder to clean, I'll throw in a few scoops of powder to bring it up a bit. I also bring it down in winter when its mostly wet.

I have a warm water feed right to the barrel and a barrel mixed I got from KR. So making soap is really easy and no issue whatsoever (I don't get clumping or tips getting plugged).

Big

WikiWash

Reaction score
Big,

I know that certain areas of the country have different cleaning challenges. What part of the country is your car wash where you use the simoniz correct? I just want to make sure that it will work here in the North East.

WikiWash

Shining Times

Reaction score
Stone Soap makes fantastic powdered product for self serve and automatics. Because of my remote location; I have tested every available product I can over the past 24 years of operation and have never found an easier product than powered stone soap's kim-aid-B and Raibow presoak. I use a powdered soap tank with a powder basket in the top and a knight concentration controller and the exact PH or Titration is controlled exactally 24 hours of the day. And I mean exactly. Cost saving and ease of use beyond description. 24 years and never a problem. just add a little powder once in a while and walk away..... Feel free to write for more details... Glad to help out...

soapy

Reaction score
To prevent dusting of the powder when mixing fill your barrel about 80% full then add the powder so the end of the bag reaches into the water and pour the powder out. No dust at all, then stir. The super kleen powder will dissolve almost instantly anyway.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mark & Shining,

I was told back in 1987 that Shelly Russell from Specialty invented that kind of a setup. Ours has the pH controlled basket for the powder & a Dema proportioner for liquid wax on the 2nd compartment within the same pre-mixer 2 tank machine with one plug into an 120 VAC outlet. I always did think it was somewhat ingenious. Not sure on GinSan & other manufacturers' version of that same setup though. KleenRite said they have something similar ... not sure about some potential differences though. Maybe someone can study, compare & share on the "water jets above the powder in a basket" approach.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

MEP001

Reaction score
Ginsan used that basket, in the past. Are the baskets still available? They worked great! Mark
Dralco can make the basket in any size - we occasionally had them made with legs so a customer could just set it in the tank.

wash4me

Reaction score
I am wanting to try the Kleenrite Super Clean and Simoniz Correct with an adjustable flow meter and no tip. Which flow meter do i need? I looked and there are lots of different flowmeters. What titration kit do I need. So far my chemical supplier has done this but i'd like to do it myself.