What's new

Powdered Soap; Long-term test

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My wash has been experimenting for several months using a powdered soap in our automatic wash (touchfree). The results have been very positive and the cost savings significant.

It may be something to try if you haven't already.

I realize soap choice is individualistic and based upon location. However, at these cost savings, it should be worth a shot.

Gabriel

Reaction score
We have been using powdered soap after trying many other brands of liquid for about 10 years. Great results and would not ever consider changing back to liquid.

Randy

Reaction score
My wash has been experimenting for several months using a powdered soap in our automatic wash (touchfree). The results have been very positive and the cost savings significant.
Is it a secret as to which product you've been experimenting with?

madscientist

Reaction score
If you have a touchless IBA and don't use a powder, you have to choose between cleaning cars and making money. You can do both with a powder.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
So, just buy any old powdered soap and it will be all better? "Powdered soap is better" is a pretty broad and generic statement. What's the difference? Why is it better? Will Tide laundry detergent be better than what I am using? I'm using liquid, BTW.

madscientist

Reaction score
Excellent points, I.B.

It's better for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, you can most likely find a powder that works well for you that will cost much less than a liquid that works well. I have been using powder for almost 20 years and have periodically experimented with liquids, and in my experience the cost is roughly 50% less. The second reason is that you have more control over the strength. Liquids that are applied using metered injector tips can only be applied at the strengths that correspond to each tip size, but not in between. Too often, I have found that one tip size is good for the cost per car but not quite good enough for cleaning the really dirty cars. But the next tip size up, while cleaning well, results in an unacceptable cost per car.

With a powder, for example, I can strengthen up my mix at the end of a 3 or 4 day drizzly period because I know I'm going to see a lot of road film. You can't get this kind of fine tuning when your only choice is the next tip size up or down, and that takes you out of an acceptable cost range.

If you look at the ingredients of your liquid, a little research will get you to a similar powdered equivalent to experiment with. If you are worried about bad results while experimenting, be sure to start much stronger and then taper back as desired. It'll still be much less expensive than using a liquid.

madscientist

Reaction score
(con't.)

To the people who say it is too much trouble, I respectfully say it is not. If I made a list of all the normal things I do at the washes in order of difficulty/nuisance, making a batch of soap is not even in the top 20. There is a one time setup procedure which will take less than 20 minutes. You can cut a hole in the top of a 55, put a barrel mixer on it (https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2381-electric-barrel-mixer.aspx), wire in an extension cord and a timer, and then program the timer to turn on a few times daily. From that point on you simply dump some powder and water in and mix when you need a new barrel of soap. It's easier than moving a new barrel of soap.

***My apologies to all soap salespeople.

Randy

Reaction score
I use this power as my S/S Presoak. http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-32415-inbay-turbo-powder-50lbs.aspx I like the Turbo power because it has a lot of surfactant in it. I mix it in small 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon container, I don’t have room in my equipment for a 55 gallon drum. I mix 72.5 oz. of power for every 5 gallons of water. When I get down to about 2 gallons I mix up another 5 gallon batch on top of that. It doesn’t take much time, maybe 10 minutes. It works out great.

soapy

Reaction score
I use a flow meter that all my presoak goes through to a non tipped injector. I titrate the presaok at a given flow on the flow meter so I know how strong it is. If I need a little stronger I just dial up the flow meter a little and I know I am getting stronger presoak. I can also watch the flow meter to make sure the draw stays consistent throughout the barrell. I use powder also.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
no secret

I am trying and like:

1. Kleen Rite Super Kleen Powder.

2. Trans Mate Wonder wash TM057.

I add some surfactant in when I mix.

I use the metering tips but like the idea of a flow meter I can adjust.

Cars look great; they look buffed, lots of them. May sound funny but it's true.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I am told by the people at KR that Kleen Rite Super Kleen Powder and Trans Mate Wonder wash TM057 are the same product. Is that what you've been seeing?

bigleo48

Reaction score
I too have switched to power from liquid along with Waxman's helps and collaboration. I was using a liquid presoak and HP soap in the SS bays and IBA that cost about $400/55gal drum. I now use either Super Kleen or Correct from KR...all between $45 & $65 per 55 gal drum. However I do put out much more and I add some foamer if its the Super Kleen.

I use a barrel mixer on a timer that comes on a couple of times a day and it takes about 10 minutes to mix up a batch.

I definitely save at least 50% and likely closer to 75% with Correct as I do not need a surfactant. This brings my margins up substantially in the IBA and allows me to do a better job cleaning the car. One of the best money saving moves so far.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I am trying and like:

1. Kleen Rite Super Kleen Powder.

2. Trans Mate Wonder wash TM057.

I add some surfactant in when I mix.

I use the metering tips but like the idea of a flow meter I can adjust.

Cars look great; they look buffed, lots of them. May sound funny but it's true.
What is the surfactant that you are using? I have been on Blendco powder for years but can;t seem to find anything that cleans as well. Have you had any experience with Blendco to compare to?

Randy

Reaction score
What is the surfactant that you are using? I have been on Blendco powder for years but can;t seem to find anything that cleans as well. Have you had any experience with Blendco to compare to?
We've never been big fans of any of the Blendco products. I use the Kleen Rite Turbo Powder, it has a lot of surfactant in it already. If you want it foam even more add some Foam brush soap to it.

Has anyone ever used “JBS Frenzy”?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Simoniz foamer is cheaper than using foam brush and you need less of it.

soapy

Reaction score
Super Kleen is made by Simoniz. The simoniz version is called Power Solve. Both are delivered without surfactant just pure cleaning agent. Simoniz sells a pure surfactant product called Power Blend that is designed to be used with the Power Solve. I have had good luck adding about 2 gallons of Kleenrite Purple passion ultraconcentrate presoak to a 55 gallon batch of Super Kleen in place of the power blend. I have also had good luck using a simoniz product called MC liquid which is a booster product which enhances any presoak. I mix 2 gallons of it in with the super kleen powder. Correct powder uses dilimolene and does a good job also but does not stay mixed as well.

MEP001

Reaction score
Witconate AOS is a cheap, concentrated foaming agent and surfactant. I know some guys who use it as foam brush soap, 5 gallons diluted 10:1 in a barrel and then run 128:1 through a Hydrominder.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use Purple Passion for surfactant as Soapy does with Super Kleen Powder.

With the TM057 I use Trans Mate's Blue Velvet as a surfactant.

I mix mine up once and leave it; seems to do just fine.

I have not tried Blendco. I heard it's awesome and expensive. Too much $$ for this Kapusta capitalist.

mattman

Reaction score
What kind of ratio are you getting with the Super Kleen and TM057 after you premix(24:1,36:1etc)?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Trying to keep costs down, I really don't want to purchase a $250+ barrel mixer. It looks like something I could rig up with spare parts around the shop. Can someone give me the details on the motor used? I have some spare ones just sitting around that I could put to good use.