What's new

Postal Contract No-Go

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got a very cold response from a post office manager locally.

Called following up on a letter I sent regarding annual carwash contracts. I offered them a sweet deal.

Manager said: "we are already under a national contract with a company who washes the vehicles."

The conversation really broke down when I asked about runoff and water containment. The manager became defensive, short and really just wanted to get off the phone.:eek:

Could it be that US Government agencies themselves are violating the Federal Clean Waters Act???

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Duh, you think so???? When did the government ever think that they needed to comply with anything.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman:

That's news if I ever heard it. Please get out a press release, pronto.

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure if I want to go up against a Federal Agency...

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Maybe you should send him a copy of this;

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/185/story/415342.html

New pollution rules send municipal trucks to approved car washes only
Rolls of quarters might be added to some small towns' next budget. Beginning today, municipalities throughout the state can no longer wash their public works vehicles without appropriate state permits. That means towns must go out of their way to find approved car washes and professional services.
Using commercial car washes is allowed, although hanging air fresheners may not be included

Eric H

Reaction score
I recently got a call from the MA dept of Conservation and Recreation regarding their $15 balance on their ExpressKey account. They have not used the account for several months and wanted to pay the balance and close the account. The reason they have an account is because the EPA busted them for washing trucks at the parks office without containment. When I asked the girl (bookkeeper) where they were washing now she replyed that they were washing at the office but using water only, No soap.
My neighbor works for the DCR so I asked him the same question. "Well, I haven't seen anyone washing trucks but I can't imagine them not using soap!!" I think I'll call him later and see if I can get some more information.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
The Ohio EPA says even just the dirt we wash off customers cars is hazardous waste. We have to use a licensed hazardous waste company to clean our pits.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman:

I like what the other posters have said.

I also know what you mean about "Fighting with City Hall". I've won some and lost some. Here's my most recent tale.

I put a banner across the front of my house, 2' x 35'. It read: OBAMA BECAUSE OPRAH KNOWS - - - WILL SHE JOIN HIM ON THE TICKET?

I went up at an appropriate time. I did it because OPRAH personally asked me to support him.

I was ticketed for violation of the sign ordinance. The fine can be 10K. I got the ordinance, read it, did my homework. I went to the first of four court appearances well armed.

The flabbergasted prosecutor and amazed judge got a 17 page brief from me for the second hearing - - first got the prosecutor a continuance.

End of story: The ordinance was selectively enforced at best and generally uneforceable (unconstitutional). Case dismissed.

Sometimes you win. I was amazed I got no national publicity because there are free speech implicatios galore.

Patrick H. Crowe

Randy

Reaction score
Have you ever wondered what happens to the rubber that wears off the tires? That rubber contains lead. Have you ever wondered what happens to the gasoline additive MBTE that is added to gasoline? It?s worse than lead that used to be added to gasoline. Have you ever wondered what happens to the brake dust that comes off the brake lining on our cars? A lot of them still contain asbestos. What happens to the oil that drips off cars as they drive down the road? Where do all these compounds go?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Gee Randy you are thinking logical now. A concept not yet grasped by various govt agencies. Chgo now has an ordinance that all vehicle facilities including gas stations and car washes and Parking lots need to protect the nvironment by power washing their lots 2 x a year with containment to catch the runoff. Asked the city guy why any automotive detritus on our lots is any different than what's on city streets? At least he admitted he was not the creator of the ordinance, only the one to enforce it.
can't hel p but wonder if some beaurocrat has a relative in the power washing business.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
Guess it was not a "sweet" enough deal to make them change.

Facility manager probably doesn't have the authority to do something anyway - you should have gone to the Postmaster - that's what I did.