What's new

Portal TI or Replacement

Touchless

Reaction score
So looking for advice/opinions. I have a 2009 Unitec Portal TI. We acquired the wash 4 years ago and it has been a bear to keep it PCI Compliant although the Portal itself has been excellent, the features it offers is excellent.
We have done well until this year and now can not get it to pass PCI. DRB now says since it’s an obsolete Portal they can not create fixes to get it to pass PCI Compliance. So they told me the parts price to have it upgraded and the price to replace.
Has anyone been in this situation and what did you do?
If I’m going to replace, what would you recommend? Portal TI, Wash Select or something else?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Take a look at Dencar. I just installed 2 of them and am ready to install 2 more. Constructed incredibly and great looking. Awesome guys to deal with. Customers love the simplicity of it.
Tell us as much about it as you can, if you don't mind

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Tell us as much about it as you can, if you don't mind

Sure.

The first thing that drew me to them was the unit itself. I felt that aesthetically it was a nicer looking unit that the others. I felt the exterior was built strong while maintaining a nice looking appearance. The 22" touch screen is stunning. Adjustable base/height.

From a customers point of view I felt the screens were VERY easy to follow and use. I love the MEI bill recycler. Being able to accept Apple pay/ect, chips, scan codes etc was a must and it does it flawlessly. They're working on many things that I really am looking forward to - not sure if I'm at liberty to divulge their projects but I'll just say that I feel it'll make their paystation even more appealing.

From a owners or managers point of view there was much to like. I can do everything from my laptop from activating the wash, to resetting the CC reader or printer, to even opening the door. The big thing with the Dencar was their software for implementing the monthly plans in a IBA setting.

Their support has been 100% perfect. Not like my experiences with Unitec. They were priced competitively and I decided to try 4 of them out. I have 2 in and 2 coming. So far so good

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Very interested in dencar as well. Did you go with the DPS-S pay station?
https://www.dencartechnology.com/products/standard-dps-s-stainless-steel/

How’s the bill recycler?
I think I’d like a standard Mars bill acceptor and a coin mech.
Did you go with the app and wash clubs as well?
Monthly rate?

thanks!
Yes. Have 2 installed and running at my IBA site and 2 more coming to my EE.

The bill recycler is NICE! I would say my only complaint is the initial stocking of $1 and $5's. It holds 55 of each and you hav to feed them into the acceptor one by one. Once it's full that's it. I believe it'll maintain that inventory with what the customers insert. Very easy to use and the customers LOVE not getting dollar coins back. I have no coin acceptor on it.

Yes, I went with the app/monthly plans. For example on my top wash, my 1,2,3,4,5 car monthly prices are : 35/49/74/109/144

They've made it so easy to convert customers to monthly subscribers its great! It's all done at the teller obviously and even when they select a single wash it gives them one final chance to save money and subscribe. It's nice that I don't need someone out there pushing the plans!

My average usage is 2.2 washes per vehicle per month.

Carwashclubber

Reaction score
Agree. I like how the Dencar software (installed one last month) funnels and handles monthlies. However, I've found a couple chinks in the armor, which I've asked the manufacturers, Ron and Phil, to address. We will see if they prioritize these corrections, or focus strictly on growing market share. Hope to address these in depth next week in Vegas f2f. Will post my after-expo thoughts for general community knowledge.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Agree. I like how the Dencar software (installed one last month) funnels and handles monthlies. However, I've found a couple chinks in the armor, which I've asked the manufacturers, Ron and Phil, to address. We will see if they prioritize these corrections, or focus strictly on growing market share. Hope to address these in depth next week in Vegas f2f. Will post my after-expo thoughts for general community knowledge.

What "chinks" are you referring to? You can DM me if you'd like? I've made some suggestions to Phil too. Those guys have gone above and beyond with me when it's come to any issue or question I've had.

slash007

Reaction score
Yes. Have 2 installed and running at my IBA site and 2 more coming to my EE.

The bill recycler is NICE! I would say my only complaint is the initial stocking of $1 and $5's. It holds 55 of each and you hav to feed them into the acceptor one by one. Once it's full that's it. I believe it'll maintain that inventory with what the customers insert. Very easy to use and the customers LOVE not getting dollar coins back. I have no coin acceptor on it.

Yes, I went with the app/monthly plans. For example on my top wash, my 1,2,3,4,5 car monthly prices are : 35/49/74/109/144

They've made it so easy to convert customers to monthly subscribers its great! It's all done at the teller obviously and even when they select a single wash it gives them one final chance to save money and subscribe. It's nice that I don't need someone out there pushing the plans!

My average usage is 2.2 washes per vehicle per month.
What are your membership numbers now that it's been a few months?

Carwashclubber

Reaction score
What "chinks" are you referring to? You can DM me if you'd like? I've made some suggestions to Phil too. Those guys have gone above and beyond with me when it's come to any issue or question I've had.
I like Phil personally as well. Will continue thru Ron and Phil privately...but will Post after Vegas...or Xmas...if they decide against fixing the mobile app's base code and CC pathway.