What's new

Portable Sign Ordinance Public Hearing

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Portable signs are used in our industry. It can give us a chance to use our property both residential & on premise in a way to be less dependent on other ways of advertising.

Our local city commission because apparently they do not have anything better to do are hashing out amongst themselves with the local city engineering dept to start putting time limits on portable signs & outlawing them on a person's private property promoting their business. There are other goofy things in their proposed add'l legalities ... such as no illumination at all allowed. I can see if the signs were on the boulevards (they call them public right of ways here?) &/or have some bearing on traffic or just outright clutter. In that case limiting should occur based on actual vs someone's imaginary fictitious problems IMHO as always of course!

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/bi...cle_58cb6d74-06ab-589b-9261-e5262c1d2034.html

Any thoughts on this ??? ... I try to limit my fights ... but I am thinking this could be an undesirable precedent for like we are a smaller city of less than 100K people. The local engineering department cited other cities (where everyone else lives) policies ... trying to pretend ... that people there are better off because of their relatively new portable sign restrictions. Considering SF & Seattle are now #1 & #2 in homeless population ... I would think we would not want to follow their lead!!!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Get the local chamber of commerce involved and all other business owners in the county. I'd be nervous about poking the proverbial lion tho.

Randy

Reaction score
Up here they have a city ordinance that makes it illegal to have "A" board signs or the feather type signs. If you have them up thet'll come take them away and charge you for the removal. A large banner type sign you can have if you apply for a permit and they have to approve of the banner, it can only be up 60 days at a time then it has to come down. Naturally real estate signs are exempt. This ordinance was passed because of all the BS signs that everyone was putting up on every telephone pole, street sign pole all over town.

Wet Spot

Reaction score
I would fight it, here in Ca I got ticketed for a banner, had to remove A frame , but nothing is fighting crime , crackheads, tweakers, drunks, 5150’s, graffiti , 3-4 hour wait for pd report. They will enforce something they know a fine will be paid by owner.