What's new

Polycarbonate Doors For SS Bays

washme1

Reaction score
I'm considering installing Poly/Alum doors on the front of my 5 SS bays to save on utilities. I have 2 year old cheap metal doors on the exit side. Has anyone used the Poly doors sold by Menards? My intention would be to lock and seal 2 or 3 bays during cold weather. Should I install operators to increase the possibility of customers closing the door when they leave? Can anyone recommend doors they are happy with? I am using Airlift on my automatic but they're pricey.

C.Duncan

Wash Zone
Reaction score
I would never buy anything but Poly/Alum doors for my washes. I started out with both glass (front) and steel (back) on my SS bays. The steel insulated doors became water logged and got so heavy they would burn out the operators. The glass ones would build up with tons of ice in the winter. (both creating safety issues) My poly doors are light, warm and durable. I have tried a couple of different brands but not Menards. I found Airlift's to be superior. I also run their magnetic air operators and plastic door wheels. I haven't changed a wheel in 3 years and used to have to change my other ones every other day it seemed. They are expensive but I went from spending about $15,000 per year (and a lot of my time) on keeping my doors operating to about $100 per year. Their system is much safer for my customers and employees.The downtime has dropped off completely as well so I found it well worth spending the extra money. As for controls, my doors open and close for my customers automatically. The entrance door goes up when the loop detector senses their car, stays up for 10 seconds and then closes (providing the photo eyes aren't obstructed). The entrance door is then locked out until the exit door open button is pressed. This prevents the entrance door from opening on a customer if another one pulls up to the door. After the exit door opens for the exiting customer, it closes on a timer after 12 seconds.