What's new

Poll: I plan on taking a few days off this summer to relax.

I plan on taking a few days off this summer to relax

• Total voters

sjb

Reaction score
Hi. I’m in my 25th year and never thought about closing it down other than, when forced to close it down, due to circumstances beyond my control… which is many!

I just rely on family and or friends to process the cash and shut down the bays or vacs if and when issues arise, that are beyond common senses, or general maintenance like trash, etc.

Of course it is not as “passive income” as all the brochures would imply, however, I would still want to have all or as many as possible of the machines generating $$ as we enjoy life!

On that note, we added 2 new self-service dogs washes last week! Time well tell!

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Don't know if I responded but hell yeah I took a vacation.....I took 3 actually each a week long. The car washes will be there and their problems I have to step away to recharge from the washes and other businesses

Reactions: sjb

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Don't know if I responded but hell yeah I took a vacation.....I took 3 actually each a week long. The car washes will be there and their problems I have to step away to recharge from the washes and other businesses
<3 <3!

sjb

Reaction score
I sometimes think my wash runs better when I am out of town…!

I can’t imagine shutting down the biz unless forced to … (I did however turn off the breakers to the bays in December for 4 days when we had freezing temps…)

Couldn’t you have your “associates/workers “ just put a cone in the bay if it developes a coin jam or leaking hose, etc…?

imho, that is why we have 24/7 businesses that generate revenue for us when we are not there!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I sometimes think my wash runs better when I am out of town…!
I feel the same!

I'm gone for at least a week each month from my wash. Sometimes more. NOV and DEC I was there only a week.Sure things happen and most times one of my guys is able to get it fixed. My best employee is a Army Veteran and was a helicopter mechanic so he can usually ge tit done.

Don't become a slave to your business. One of the biggest advantages of owning is the freedom. Utilize it.

MEP001

Reaction score
My best employee is a Army Veteran and was a helicopter mechanic so he can usually ge tit done.
The worst "tech" I've ever met was a former Army tank mechanic. He could barely change the batteries in a remote control. I honestly thought he was brain damaged or mentally challenged until I accidentally got him talking about investments.

DavidM

Reaction score
One of my favorite things about the business is making money when I'm not there. Going away while revenue still comes in is fun!

Reactions: sjb

MudMoney

Reaction score
I take regular vacations got 3 planned @ 2 weeks each this year.Never understood how car wash owners don't, take vacations. They are not indispensable, they will regret not enjoying time with family or relaxing when faced with heath issues. Life is to be lived ,not to be a slave to your business.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I am retiring this spring from the manufacturing company where I have worked for 43 years! We enjoy camping on the Ohio River which is only 12 miles from home. Its easy to check on the wash on the weekends and still enjoy our favorite place to be....We always say we get to go on vacation every weekend even though I still have to tend the wash. Does that count?! Now that I will be retired, we can spend even more time there! It will be nice not having to rush back home to get "Life Stuff" done for the work-week.

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
2Biz has a nice set up along the Ohio river.

We have it set up now with the help of our employees so that we can take 3 or 4 vacations a year. No one is indispensable at the car wash, it’ll be there when you come back so why not enjoy the fruits of your labor. I have a changer customer who takes off a month or so at time a couple of times a year. He’s found that he can run his car wash business remotely so he takes full advantage of it.

Ryancross11

Reaction score
I am leaving for Arizona in a couple weeks and am debating of just shutting it down for those days. So much can go wrong with the doors in cold and my main guy (dad)that watches when I take vacation is coming with me.

Bill Capron

Reaction score
I live 150 miles from my carwash. My vacation home is in that town. I’m almost always not there.
My “support guy” works at the restaurant next door. When he takes his break he checks the carwash while he smokes his cigarette.
He empties the trash cans and looks for damage or broken equipment. His mechanical skills are limited but he can change a hose or foam brush. Frequently I can talk him through an additional repair.
He is vital to keeping the carwash running smoothly.
Because he works next door I’m not paying him for the effort to get there, that’s already a sunken cost for him. This makes him very affordable to me and he’s very happy to get the extra money.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Follow up: Did the people who voted yes actually take a vacation?
Finally booked that dream vacation I've been talking about! I'm at Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu this week, celebrating my birthday with my twin sister. Relaxing trip & catching up on the latest issue of SSCWN!! 🤙🏝❤

Attachments

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Most women I know stop having birthdays at some point, or don't admit to as many.
Maybe it's different when you have an identical twin sister to celebrate with... We've always been close. Every year we spend our birthday together, celebrating our friendship, accomplishments & blessings!! 🥳 🎂 ❤

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
Maybe it's different when you have an identical twin sister to celebrate with... We've always been close. Every year we spend our birthday together, celebrating our friendship, accomplishments & blessings!! 🥳 🎂 ❤

Do you take turns every year to blow out the candle?

Randy

Reaction score
Happy Birthday! My twin doesn’t look anything like me, thank God.