What's new

Political Readerboard Message

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I agree. I especially disagree when the courts put their spin on it and create laws instead of ruling by the law.

gsgriffin

Reaction score
I am

That said, it's not about wearing my politics on my sleeve - 13 years on this board and if not for Patrick Crowe nobody would know my political leaning. It's a matter of being frustrated with how screwed up this country is. I guess punishing my revenue at the car wash is no way to go about it though.
Come on, Red, you say you are in Texas (the great state of). EVERYONE knows your political leanings. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Fellow Texan,

Griffin

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I agree. I especially disagree when the courts put their spin on it and create laws instead of ruling by the law.
Of course that only happends when the courts disagree with your or other critics point of view. Rulings in line with ones point of view never do this.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Judges are supposed to interpret the law, not rewrite it.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
A calm discussion of any subject can be enlightening, an argument is a waste of time for both parties.

Speaking of refining, I see that in Texas some religious rights want to "correct" the history in school books. Pretty soon what your grandchildren learn will be nothing like it actually happened.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The "Legislating from the bench" type of comment has been around for decades. Maybe a century or more. Curious that it's only made by those who disagree with the decision.

My point was to point out that it's a really old arguments, equal opportunity one at that being employed by those whose opinions fall to the right and left of decsions. So, as a debate it's a non starter. There needs to be some other process involved to critique a decision which might start with why the procees of stare decisis had not been followed after reviewing the precedent relied on.

Red Baron

Reaction score
The "Legislating from the bench" type of comment has been around for decades. Maybe a century or more. Curious that it's only made by those who disagree with the decision.
Not always the case. Save for a few issues I consider myself Libertarian. Let our government pave our streets, fight our fires, and keep us from stealing from and killing each other, then get out of the way.

Don't spend millions extra building a courthouse with marble walls claiming it's going to pay off in longevity, then approach me for a more money in 20 years to build a new one because the marble-walled palace is functionally obsolete. Don't install intricate floor tile in the New Orleans airport then tell me we have to give Landrieu another $300MM for Katrina victims.

Since we cannot trust our government, they should have absolutely the barest of authority.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score

My point was to point out that it's a really old arguments, equal opportunity one at that being employed by those whose opinions fall to the right and left of decsions. So, as a debate it's a non starter. There needs to be some other process involved to critique a decision which might start with why the procees of stare decisis had not been followed after reviewing the precedent relied on.
Earl, the lawyer in you is showing.

Rudy

Reaction score
Your comments about marble floors and walls spur me to jump in here (especially since there is a business underpinning to this forum)....

A business either adapts to the changing marketplace, or else the problems go unresolved and the business goes away. Either make the hard choice and continue, or don't make the hard choice and fail.

Government is different. Hard decisions are political suicide, therefore they get deferred into the future for another administration. This deferral cannot continue forever....and eventually the problem becomes sufficiently top heavy and it implodes.

Look at how Social Security is fundamentally unsound. No one wants to take on a solution....and most likely a solution will not be forthcoming until it's too late. The same is true with the mounting debt etc.

This is why the government that governs best, governs least. Once you start these programs, they never go away (until the whole system implodes).

Last edited:

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
WOW!!

It's Memorial Day--So certainly today our focus should be on those who served.

On other days, --it is your soap box use it as you want. God only knows your tax dollars pay for many soap boxes--but this one is yours.

With regard to wearing politics on your sleeve--I strongly believe 2010 is year to say "Enough" It is time for the silent majority to scream from the mountain tops to redirect our country. There was a time when I would be a real diplopmat and try to change subject when testy politics came up. Never again, I would not pro actively stir a testy politcal discussion, but now when a liberal friend wants to stir the pot---I am not shy and express my views in spades-- in terms that leave no doubt.

I have recently learned in local politics that we can make a difference. Our county has 6 to 1 registered democrats over republicans. We just elected the first republican sherrif in over 30 yrs. It is not that he is a republican, but rather he has tremendous qualifications for the job and the people listened and ignored their party affiliation.

Just imagine the change in direction of our country, if we would elect national candidates based on their character and qualifications.

OK got to go and take my blood pressure meds.

Ted

Red Baron

Reaction score
WOW!!

It's Memorial Day--So certainly today our focus should be on those who served.

On other days, --it is your soap box use it as you want. God only knows your tax dollars pay for many soap boxes--but this one is yours.

With regard to wearing politics on your sleeve--I strongly believe 2010 is year to say "Enough" It is time for the silent majority to scream from the mountain tops to redirect our country. There was a time when I would be a real diplopmat and try to change subject when testy politics came up. Never again, I would not pro actively stir a testy politcal discussion, but now when a liberal friend wants to stir the pot---I am not shy and express my views in spades-- in terms that leave no doubt.

I have recently learned in local politics that we can make a difference. Our county has 6 to 1 registered democrats over republicans. We just elected the first republican sherrif in over 30 yrs. It is not that he is a republican, but rather he has tremendous qualifications for the job and the people listened and ignored their party affiliation.

Just imagine the change in direction of our country, if we would elect national candidates based on their character and qualifications.

OK got to go and take my blood pressure meds.

Ted
Yep, and although it is of secondary importance to me, I am conscious of the fact that a lot of people feel the same way and are going out of their way to do business with like-minded people right now.

We all deal with stats in our business - stats say that 60% of us are center/right. Question is, would I draw more new customers from the 60% who aren't doing business with me now, than I would lose from the 40% who are doing business with me now. I'd guess that it's close enough of a "wash" that it wouldn't make a noticeable difference either way.

With the economy like it is now, I'm being more careful not to offend anyone so I probably won't change my readerboard, but I feel a little wimpy because of that.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have often thought of having some sort of bumper sticker removal special. I can't help but think "what an idiot" every time I see an Obama/Biden sticker. It's like Bill Engvall says "heres your sign".

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have often thought of having some sort of bumper sticker removal special. I can't help but think "what an idiot" every time I see an Obama/Biden sticker. It's like Bill Engvall says "heres your sign".
I know how you feel. Felt the same whenever I saw a Bush / Cheney sticker.
( I just couldn't help myself.)

johnny

johnny
Reaction score
i thought cash for clunkers got ride of most bo stickers

Red Baron

Reaction score
Alas, I caved to PC pressure and elected to go with:

Side One:
DON'T FORGET
TO GLOSS
TRI-COLOR FOAM CONDITIONER

Side Two:
NEW CAR SMELL
WITHOUT THE NEW CAR $
FRAGRANCE VACS

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
"I know how you feel. Felt the same whenever I saw a Bush / Cheney sticker.
( I just couldn't help myself.)"
Which one did you prefer, The Gore/Lieberman or the Kerry/Edwards one?

Red Baron

Reaction score
"I know how you feel. Felt the same whenever I saw a Bush / Cheney sticker.
( I just couldn't help myself.)"
Which one did you prefer, The Gore/Lieberman or the Kerry/Edwards one?
I frequently have to remind myself that taking the tag number of the guy with the Obama sticker, then sending him a snide letter, is an improper and illegal usage of my publicdata.com account. :)