What's new

polishing stainless vacs

mac

Reaction score
I should know this, but I don't. What is a good product to use to really polish an old stainless vac? The crap at the hardware and big box stores doesn't do diddley. I'm not looking for a mirror finish, jusy clean and new looking.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If they're getting over spray from SS bays, start with an aluminium brightener such as Arcadian's nu wall. Do not allow to dry on the surface or it will stain black. Spray on and use a white scotch brite pad (gloved hands of course) to clean. You will not scratch or mar the finish with a white pad.. You can use one grade coarser than the white pad but have to be careful and go with the grain of the metal. Be sure to rinse off before the product dries. It's best to do it at night or first thing in the morning while the vacs are cool to the touch.

They make aerosol stainless polishes but every one I've tried just left a greasy messy finish that will attract dirt.

Last edited:

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Believe it or not, one of the best cleaners I've found for stainless is called 'Totally Awesome' from the dollar store and it's cheap. Probably not what you need to restore an old old vacuum but for maintaining its great.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Totally awesome has the same ingredients as a decent alkaline tire cleaner.

Oh yeah, you probably know this already, but don't use brillo pads or steel wool. Tiny bits of metal can get embedded and leave rust specks