What's new

Police Vehicle Washing Unfarely use Competitor

bigleo48

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Earlier this year, I discovered that the local police force (about 35 vehicles) changed their practice from using college students to clean thier vehicles, to using my competitors car wash. When I discovered this I contacted the inspector in charge and informed him that I'd like to quote on doing them.

They washed a couple of their vehicles and were very satisfied of the wash (not suprizing) I have many advantages over my competitor including the following, open 24/7, attendant during business hours, my wash is more suitable for the light bars as it is completely touchless, spot free rince, etc.

They then informed me that they would not switch and to be fair to everyone, they would put it up for tender in a couple of months.

Now a few months go by and I pinged the inspector. He replied that they were not going to change or tender the job. Thus giving my competitor an advantage. So I'm ****ed to say the least and thinking about my next move.

I think I would start by explaining to them what they are doing is not fair or is beneficial to the force and taxpayers. Then looking into legality of not tendering (I believe they must tender), then the police board and finally going to the newspaper if I have to.

What do you guys think or suggest?

Big

bigleo48

Reaction score
I just spoke with the inspector today to ask for a rational on their decision not to tender. He didn't have one except that they do not tender all the jobs. I offered other solutions to which they were cool. I told them that the optics of this looks like my competitor is getting an unfair advantage, to which he agreed and asked me to put my concents together in a letter to the chief.

Big

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
If you know what you are willing to do on price, you might consider running ad in paper. Maybe stating that you will offer steep discount for all government vehicles and be happy to submit sealed bid. Should heat things up so they have to talk to you and you may flush out some other opportunities.

Good luck

Ted

Ted

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
My suggestion is to step way, way back on this.

Although you don't like it, a relationship has developed between these two parties which seems successful. At this time, the more you push it the more likely you will alienate yourself forever from having a chance at this business. If you are patient, there may be a more opportune time in the future to chase this business. Maybe the competitor will screw up; maybe the gov't entity will decide to tender a bid.

I would definitely not try to "complain your way" into some business by writing a letter to the Chief. Only once in my 20yr career in high tech did I write a letter of complaint to a high official describing unfair bidding practices, and the reaction I got was to see the gov't officials just become much more careful to do everything by the book while continuing to steer business to my competitor. So that approach only made things worse.

After a while, you might consider doing some sort of broad marketing approach involving gov't vehicles at many levels, including, of course, the P.D. If you can succeed with another related agency you have a better foundation to work from to consolidate the police vehicles as well. But be patient-- it likely will take years, not months.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you pursue this too vigorously you will probably eliminate your chance to get this business and upset the police. A polite letter to the Chief would be okay but I would not go over his head with the your complaint or make the issue public. Even if the department was forced to open for tenders you would probably not have a chance since I would bet your competitor would probably benefit from insider information. I would try to hang in there and continue a low key approach. Patience and persistence is probably a better approach in this case than being aggressive.

Not to add fuel to the fire but I was a General Manager of a chain that had the contract to do all city vehicles. In addition to steady business we washed many of their personal vehicles as well. It is worth using patience to pursue this.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
May I suggest an alternative? FREE. wash em free. the benefit is a police presence at any time, discouraging all kinds of behavior. as well, they may start bringing their personal vehicles and spending money. the little you may gain by a deeply discounted wash could easily be outweighed by the gains you make. we wash any police vehicle free, our basic wash.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just make friends with all the city officials and dept. heads I can. That way, when I offer them a bulk discount on carwashes we have an established relationship that paves the way.

This is local politics and it's a different game entirely from normal commercial accounts.

I've got both police departments and just recently became a vendor for the State of MA, so I will now hit up the State Police again and see if being a vendor helps.

Maybe start with a muffin basket and some free wash coupons?
Good luck!

bigleo48

Reaction score
Thanks guys...wise words. Here are some of my thoughts;

-We have the best wash period and when we test washed the police cars, some complained about the quality of my competitor.
-Deep discounts or free. The police will not take freebies and so I need to justify deep discounts and keep things transparent. I have a plan for this.
-Muffin Basket & Free washes would not be accepted.

I will write to the chief explaining everything and see where it goes.

Big

Red Baron

Reaction score
Tough situation. In all liklihood your competitor knows someone on the PD, is former PD, his son is PD, or in some way has a connection that you don't have. PD are like that, loyal to their own - I don't complain about that beause I've benefitted from it for many years. lol It isn't fair, but life isn't always fair. I'd be careful that I didn't alienate them because there are times when their discretion can help or hurt you when something happens at your wash and it's a gray area.

If you do write a letter to the chief, rather than point out the illegality of what they're doing, appeal to his sense of fairness by telling him all the ways you support LEO. Point out that you know they have a difficult thankless job and you don't want to add to his stress...

pitzerwm

Reaction score
It is a touchy situation. Rather than the Chief, I'd start working with the mayor, he is the one that tells the PD when & where. I once called a city official and asked him "where he was hiding the money". Of course, he asked what money, and I told him "the money that so-n-so is paying you to let him get around the law" He was shut down that afternoon.

If you are in a small city then you have to walk on eggs, if a bigger city, then its all politics and corruption. If you want some action ask the mayor who and how much money you need to pay to get that contract. I can guarantee that it will go up for bid. I once offer my chief some free coupons to test out my new IBA, he being "very careful" threw me out of the office, and said that he would check it out with his own money. I needed a liquor license a long time ago and went to the power broker in town. He said "wait, there isn't anyone on the council smart enough to take a bribe". :)

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Bill, Normally I think your advice is pretty good but I think you may have missed the mark this time. Going over his head is only going to alienate the Chief and probably the whole force. (Personally I think the free donuts idea was a neat one and funny too but I have a feeling it would not be too well received) I think Leo has the right idea. Write a nice letter to the Chief laying out his offer and see where it goes. I think patience, courtesy and perseverance will be the best route here.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW there are many things to consider.
1. Very often contracts under a certain $ amount do not need to be put out for bid.
2. We have a portion of the Chicago Vehicle washes. They put the contract out for Bid and tell you how much you can bid. You have to comply with Minority and Women owned busines set asides. The bid package is about 50 pages long. As others posted there is little profit in it but it is nice having them around.
3. I firmly believe this is a situation where you need to be careful who you P.O. They can create a huge headache for you. I have "Fought City hall". It's not fun.

termn8tr

Reaction score
Leo, offer them FREE COFFEE & DONUTS from Tim Hortons. You are right, they don't want freebies however, they do go for the lowest price. We are washing the OPP's, they all have an ARI card and we charge them 5.00 tax in. Our regualr price is $8 for the basic wash.

It won't hurt either if you have someone like this babe towel drying at the end

Attachments

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Approach other P.D.s in the area.
Ask what their annual budget is for washing cars.
Then offer to wash all their P.D. cars unlimited for this amount.
Tell them that if their cars get dirty after its been washed they can come back in and wash it again. It won't happen often but it might be the key to get the other P.Ds to sign an annual program.
After awhile I would think your own city P.D. would want the same deal. The P.D.s talk to each other.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I spent 20+ years marketing to municipal govt officials and supervised teams of 6-figure sales people who did the same. Bagged millions of $$$ in contracts for the effort. We studied the behavior traits hard and developed good insight into how these people tick. I believe that those who advise you to write a letter to the Chief are trying to be helpful; however, in my experience, this is not a good approach.

What you need here is a "relationship sell." Your problem is that you have no relationship; your competitor does. Until you fix that you are pushing a rope uphill. So the first order of business is to fix that.

Find ways to develop *positive* relationships with folks up and down the chain. Locate and cultivate a "champion" of your cause within the organization. Let this champion then carry the water for you. These approaches will be much more effective than dropping a letter on the Chief. The muni govt bureacrats consider anything in writing to be a threat-- good luck with overcoming that if you choose to write such a letter.

Finally, if you are willing to chase this on a deep discount basis, why do you want it at all? I would *not* focus on price here; only on quality and performance. Focusing on price and discounts may only result in you winning a contract you wish you never had won.

Randy

Reaction score
Years ago I had a contact to wash the Police cars and city vehicles. It was a pretty good deal for both the city and for me. A couple of years ago the city built a new public safety building and included a wash rack in the back parking area for the city to wash there vehicles. The wash rack is manned most of the day by trustees from the city jail. Now they wash both state and county police cars there.