What's new

Pneumatic door system trouble

Wash Grunt

Reaction score
Our automatic bay uses pneumatic cylinders to open/close the doors. Our exit door developed a loud squealing when opening. Inspection of the door revealed it is coming from one of the cylinders. Door functions ok, but I have the automatic shut down until we can get it repaired. I know very little about pneumatics, and having trouble finding someone to come out and service it. Is it possible to lubricate the cylinder without taking it apart? Maybe remove the air feed line and shoot pneumatic lube in the port? Do not want a car in the bay and have the cylinder seize up.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Our automatic bay uses pneumatic cylinders to open/close the doors. Our exit door developed a loud squealing when opening. Inspection of the door revealed it is coming from one of the cylinders. Door functions ok, but I have the automatic shut down until we can get it repaired. I know very little about pneumatics, and having trouble finding someone to come out and service it. Is it possible to lubricate the cylinder without taking it apart? Maybe remove the air feed line and shoot pneumatic lube in the port? Do not want a car in the bay and have the cylinder seize up.
Disconnect the air line and fill it with about six inches of 30w non detergent oil the reconnect and turn the air back on.

Zal

Reaction score
airlift does suggest to fill airline with oil as a possible solution to internal seal leakage problems I use 0w30 or ATF in an auto oiler. I think it will work regardless of the brand

Keno

Reaction score
Marvel mystery oil works great as air tool lubricant. Some of those air cylinders are pre-lubed with a "lifetime" lubricant, once it's gone though you will have issues. Once you start oiling an air cylinder, you will have to continue to always lubricate it, as you will wash out the "lifetime" lubricant