What's new

Plumbing Issue/Question

Etowah

Red Baron

Reaction score
For 3 years after I built this car wash the sewer lines drained just fine. Suddenly my pits began flooding about once a week, and the problem wassolved each time, immediately, by havign the city come out and reset the lift station pump next to my wash. The water works guys said they've had lots of trouble with the lift station.

Now, new water works employee, and new city manager, and both say it's my issue because my sewer lines are too shallow. That doesn't wash with me because:
1) My lines did not suddenly grow moer shallow after having worked fine for 3 years.
2) I don't see how it could be my problem when resettign the lift station cures the problem every time.

The former water works employee was washign his truck here last week and when i told him thje city's new position that it's my issue, he laughed and assured my it's the city's problem.

The city wants me to dig up my sewer line and reroute it to a closer tie in to city swer in spite of the fact that I tapped in where they told me to when I built this wash. Additionally, I told them "OK, if I do that and it doesn't solve my problem are you going to reimburse the $5,000 I'll spend?" Of course they won't do that.

Question is, am I missing something here that could make the city right, that the resetting the llift station curing the problem each time is only incidental and that the problem is my sewer lines?

Eric H

Reaction score
Plumber Rule of Law:
1. $hit flows down hill
2. Don't bite your fingernails
3. Payday is Friday

Following rule #1, unless your pipes suddenly go up hill, you should be fine. :D

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I would approach that city worker again and see if he would give you a better explanation on what the problem is with the lift station. The logic that your wash was fine for three years and now is getting backed up must not make any sense to the city. I really hate dealing with local government. Good Luck!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Go to the next town over and hire an attorney, it will probably still cost you $5K, but you'll feel better about it.