What's new

Plumbing 55 gallon drums in series

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Going along with the topic mentioned here, what do you guys recommend parts/procedure wise for plumbing 2 or 3 55 gallon drums together.

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd use bulkhead fittings at the lowest point in the side of the tank, then plumb them all together with PVC or large hose.

PEI

Reaction score
I lay the drums on their sides and use the openings in the top. You can plumb them with stock PVC fittings from most hardware stores. If you plumb them together at the bottom and use one of the top openings for filling and one for overflow, then they will self level and will not require an air hole.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
PEI - thanks for the advice, but I need to have the float switch in one of the tanks and laying them on their sides will make that a little difficult.

MEP - thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

MEP001

Reaction score
Looks like it would work - I don't see any reason to cut the fitting off inside, but it would make for a neater install. A good PVC bulkhead will cost $30 or more - Kleen-Rite has a brass 1/2" fitting that's only $5.52.

Kevin James

Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish by connecting a couple of drums together?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am moving my spot free holding tanks to my loft and I won't be able to utilize my current 100 gallon tank, so I am going to plumb three 55 gallon tanks together. Make sense?

Wally

Reaction score
What about freezing conditions. Will that have any effect on your project?

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
Depending upon what you're feeding, I personally would go with at least 1" regular bulkhead fittings from a farm supply (easy to install, less chance of an initial leak on a rounded surface than the "DIY" fitting) and tie them together with sch 40 PVC. The 1" + allows the water to level in the 3 drums faster. Cut the bulkhead fittings in around 3" above the bottom of the drums. Job done, less than $50 for all.

Randy

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use 55 gallon drums, been there and done that. Get a 100 to 150 gallon flat plastic tank, they aren’t all that expensive. I can almost guarantee you’ll be happier and have fewer problems down the road.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Any specific reason why? I'm trying to go the most cost effective route, but am open to hearing some reasons as to why this isn't the best option.

cherokee235

Reaction score
I've got 15 drums on my roof to store spot free. It gravity feeds to the main tank in the equipment room with a 3/4" float valve from the hardware store. When the sun finally breaks one down, I replace it. They are laying on their sides on a wood cradle positioned over the top of my bay walls and drain in parallel through a 3/4 pvc manifold, all home brewed stuff. I also capture the reject water in drums and send it to the LW4000.

We are in south Tx so no worry about freezing. They have been up there for 15 years.

David

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I would love to have that option...except today its 7 degrees and that would not work out so well...