What's new

Pit questions

OurTown

Reaction score
Be careful.

If you hire a service to pump the pits for you....there's a legal "chain of command" that can ultimately hold you liable. Stated another way....if some company pumps your pits, and does NOT dispose of the sludge legally....YOU can be held liable.

That's why it costs so much to have a reputable company do it for you. They do it right...and then there's a paperwork trail that confirms it if questioned.

I was warned by one of the environmental waste removal type of company of this. They have not called me back yet after 8 days. The other two septic companies got back with me. One is estimating at $2,600 for the four pits. The other one gave more of a firm price at $2,400 and will pressure wash them clean.

Last edited:

Overachiever

Reaction score
If you feel like doing the shoveling but not the drying your garbage collection place might have a Hazardous Waste dumpster they can bring by for the mud. Not sure how much that would be though.

OurTown

Reaction score
If you feel like doing the shoveling but not the drying your garbage collection place might have a Hazardous Waste dumpster they can bring by for the mud. Not sure how much that would be though.

Thanks. I never thought to look into something like that.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Be careful.

If you hire a service to pump the pits for you....there's a legal "chain of command" that can ultimately hold you liable. Stated another way....if some company pumps your pits, and does NOT dispose of the sludge legally....YOU can be held liable.

That's why it costs so much to have a reputable company do it for you. They do it right...and then there's a paperwork trail that confirms it if questioned.
I wonder how many just hire pumpers who dump at their local city run landfill who they pay by the before & after weight calculation. Not that I am advocating that as the best way of doing it. The pumper would always charge enough to cover what his potential bill would be of course.

I remember over 12 years ago when our pumper's wife & his business manager called me about how the state regulators were putting them out of business basing their stipulations being a bit too similar to our neighboring state of Minnesota.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I remember getting a bid on our trash collection from WasteManagement & the sales person was real firm that the bid was based on no mud going into the 4 yard dumpster. He even went so far as saying they do not allow it along with discarded vehicle tires etc. Sometimes we allow our dumpsters to be unlocked & a tire is illegally put in by a passerby or customer. Shazamm ... what is that approximate extra $7.50 charge tacked onto that specific month's bill ... with the tire noted as the reason.

I am thinking that other localities the behemoth Wastemanagement Corp might have a different policy ... not sure?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I remember getting a bid on our trash collection from WasteManagement & the sales person was real firm that the bid was based on no mud going into the 4 yard dumpster. He even went so far as saying they do not allow it along with discarded vehicle tires etc. Sometimes we allow our dumpsters to be unlocked & a tire is illegally put in by a passerby or customer. Shazamm ... what is that approximate extra $7.50 charge tacked onto that specific month's bill ... with the tire noted as the reason.

I am thinking that other localities the behemoth Wastemanagement Corp might have a different policy ... not sure?

I have WM. I have in writing I'm permitted to dispose of the dried mud in the container. Thant's probably about the best you're going to get from a reputable hauler who stays within the legal confines.

Roz

Reaction score
Wow, your prices are high. Our local septic company charges $500 (price is based on number of gallons hauled away). Our 6 bay plus holding tanks might fill one 5000gal truck and we have large bay pits (4'x4'x6')

MEP001

Reaction score
Wow, your prices are high. Our local septic company charges $500 (price is based on number of gallons hauled away). Our 6 bay plus holding tanks might fill one 5000gal truck and we have large bay pits (4'x4'x6')
We have to pay $1000 a year now just for the testing.

OurTown

Reaction score
We have to pay $1000 a year now just for the testing.

What are they testing for and do they ever find anything that you would have to use a hazmat company?

OurTown

Reaction score

I'm going to call around some more but I'll have to call pumpers from out of the area. Of the six septic pumpers I called only two pumped car wash pits. It is funny how different each of these companies have different stories on where they dispose of it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
At one time I was considering buying my own pumper. I was going to buy a new truck soon and was contemplating an F-250, for hauling and possibly pulling a pumper. I found the law online pertaining to disposing of pit waste in my state. It was vague and IMO too much was left up to interpretation. I checked with a local attorney in an attempt to get him to clear it up. He wasn't any help, but said he would find out and get back with me. That was 2007, I expect him to call any minute...

MEP001

Reaction score
What are they testing for and do they ever find anything that you would have to use a hazmat company?
Mainly oil. If it tests good, the landfill can take it as mud, if it exceeds a certain amount the landfill charges more for some sort of processing.

OurTown

Reaction score
Mainly oil. If it tests good, the landfill can take it as mud, if it exceeds a certain amount the landfill charges more for some sort of processing.
$1,000 seems excessive just testing for oil presence.

Randy

Reaction score
In Washington State when you have your sludge tested there looking primarily looking for petroleum hydrocarbons, heavy metals, cadmium, mercury, lead and chromium. Then they do the 24 hour fish test with some trout fingerlings. Depending on the test results determines where they can dump the waste, a landfill is not an option. If you don’t have a test certificate a pumper isn’t supposed to pump you out. The cost of the test varies, normally it’s about $1000- $1500 everytime you have it pumped. A few guys I know are pumping out there pits and dumping the waste on land they own, bad idea as it could come back to bite you down the road should the land ever be tested and found to be contaminated.

Randy

Reaction score
Be careful.

Rudy’s right. You want to be very careful who you hire to pump out your pits and oil water separator tank. A friend mine used a company for a number of years. They went out of business when the company that was taking their waste went out of business. Come to find out the company that was receiving the waste wasn’t doing anything with it, all they did with all the waste that were receiving was storing it, mixing it with other waste etc. When all of their property, holding tanks and holding ponds were full of waste they filed bankruptcy and walked away. Enter the EPA, they undertook an aggressive cleanup, cleaned up the property. After the property was cleaned up the EPA filed a 35 million dollar law suit against everyone who sent waste to that waste facility. The more waste you sent to the facility the more your portion of the lawsuit was. His portion was around $36,000. After it was all said and done his lawyer ended up negotiating it down to around $14,000 to the EPA, with his lawyer fee’s he ended up paying a little less than $17,000. He thought that once his pit waste left the car wash that was the end of it, until a US Marshall delivered a 3” binder with the details of the lawsuit, he spent a lot of sleepless nights until it was settled.

OurTown

Reaction score
If I were to buy one of those Handy Clams what length would be good? Our pit is right at 5' deep from the bay floor. They can be bought 6' or 8' and one seems short and the other seems long but I have never used one.

Overachiever

Reaction score
If I were to buy one of those Handy Clams what length would be good? Our pit is right at 5' deep from the bay floor. They can be bought 6' or 8' and one seems short and the other seems long but I have never used one.
I use the 8 foot. I think my pits are the same as yours. You sort of stab it down into the mud and then close the claw... closer you are to the bottom of the pit the more you'll need to squat to pull it back out of there.

txheat

Reaction score
Also our plan is to dig out and reuse one of these pits for our new auto bay. Is this design okay to use if we will have a reclaim system?
i suggest you ask the company that will put in the reclaim system before your renovation.

OurTown

Reaction score
I found a pit pumper that will pump them for $350 each. That is little more than half price of others. The company was recommended by a guy that manages 10 Super Washes around here and has used them for years. How can I verify they will dispose of it properly to prevent a situation like Randy's story? Maybe get a copy of the ticket from where he drops it off? Follow him to see where he goes?