What's new

Pit questions

water guy

Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Micro Biologist and makes his own enzymes for smell and getting rid of oil dumps in my pits.He does big chicken Processing plants and City Municipalities. These Bugs Work Well.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Micro Biologist and makes his own enzymes for smell and getting rid of oil dumps in my pits.He does big chicken Processing plants and City Municipalities. These Bugs Work Well.
Water Guy,

With signs & watching customer activity ... we are pretty sure we get very little oil in our pit mud but we still would like to know more about the potential cost of some enzyme usage??? Can you share with us a range on what the enzymes could cost. Our local city sewage plant inspector seemed to be fixated on making sure we do not let the water to mud ratio is not too little.

water guy

Reaction score
Depending if I use the powder or the liquid .I use about a cup or 2 depending on how bad the oil is .Its about 25.00 a gallon for the liquid.

Randy

Reaction score
I found a pit pumper that will pump them for $350 each. That is little more than half price of others. The company was recommended by a guy that manages 10 Super Washes around here and has used them for years. How can I verify they will dispose of it properly to prevent a situation like Randy's story? Maybe get a copy of the ticket from where he drops it off? Follow him to see where he goes?
I’d be very cautious of any pit pumper who is underpricing everyone else. In the end it’s your responsibility for the correct disposal of your waste. I’d find out where they are dumping the waste and get a copy of the invoice they paid that shows it was dumped properly.

623 Express

Reaction score
I wonder if we could just put an air line down into the pit with one of those stones like a fish tank has. Maybe only run it when it starts to smell.
My SS gun weep drains, for whatever reason, run to a small sump about the size found in a residential basement in my mech room. This summer it began to stagnate and wreak... About this time my daughter's beta fish died and in the heat of this tragedy she swore she'd "never get another."
🤔
I did exactly what you suggest with the now unused aerator. It worked perfectly. Made me wish I had an easy way to do it in all my sumps.

FWIW, given the larger volume of bay pits, I bet you'd have to run it pretty much constantly to keep the decomp aerobic.

RIP "Moonbeam", gone but not forgotten. 😂

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I’d be very cautious of any pit pumper who is underpricing everyone else. In the end it’s your responsibility for the correct disposal of your waste. I’d find out where they are dumping the waste and get a copy of the invoice they paid that shows it was dumped properly.
Randy & others,

PEACE OF MIND???

Despite of the add'l challenge when we have to be that dang thorough! I remember back in 1985 when we had a general contractor handle the attic-truss roof for our formerly flat roof on our laundromat. I kid you not ... he actually told me before we signed the contract that he would have a lien-waiver from everyone of the subs ... there were over 5 subcontractors involved in the project besides the general providing his specific lien-waiver. The general did follow through on his promise.

I remember the day when the metal scrap yards would gladly let us roam their yard finding just the right stainless or whatever perfect scrap to buy based on weight ... for the machine shop guy to work his magic. Nowadays ... repulsive signs & enforcement stating LIABILITY CONCERNS (insurance etc) ... absolutely not allowed anymore. Bedford vs Pottersville?

Knight01

Reaction score
I found a pit pumper that will pump them for $350 each. That is little more than half price of others. The company was recommended by a guy that manages 10 Super Washes around here and has used them for years. How can I verify they will dispose of it properly to prevent a situation like Randy's story? Maybe get a copy of the ticket from where he drops it off? Follow him to see where he goes?
OurTown,
Who did you end up using and did they work out?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Possibly. Could I legally do that as the owner of the car wash and land it is dumped on then?
Not legal in cities & most municipalities. However, in Many rural areas, this is perfectly legal. I know, because I have checked w/ an actual attorney.