What's new

Pit Freeze...

Twodose

Reaction score
Its so damn cold and I haven’t been doing much business so I closed 4 out of 7 bays, purged the lines with antifreeze, took the guns off, shut off the weep to those bays, also closed the zones for the floor heat to bays 5-7 to try and save some money.

The pits in bays 5-7 look like they are freezing on the top where as the other pits are not freezing at all because of the weep water running into them. Do you think it is safe to leave the floor heat off, or will it create problems with the pits freezing? It’s been cold here in NE Pa. for the last 3 weeks, not doing much business, wish I would have shut them down a couple weeks ago.

Thought if the pits freeze they may push the 4” tees and bust them or cause other problems, I don’t know, I have never had to do this before, the temps we been having are like the temps you would see in January.

Put some calcium pellets in the pits for the bays that the zones are turned off, I would hate to have the floors heave and create more problems. :confused:

If I could keep 3 bays going I would be happy.

Winter Sucks…Blah…:(

lag

Reaction score
I knew an operator who shut his floor heat down during a cold snap (well below freezing), and his floors did heave. I do remember he only had doors on one side.

Maybe if you need to you could run floor heat to them a couple hours a day until washing weather returns. Just my 2 cents.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Those big slabs of concrete take a while to really heat up and you don't want to do it too quickly. I have given up on turning them up and down as it usually cause more problems than it's worth.

What would likely be the best bet is instlaling doors ( very expensive) or some insulating mats.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I never turn my floor heat off due to cold. If it's going to be too cold for any business for more than a couple days, I may turn it down, but not off. The heat from my boiler also keeps my equipment heated (with a ceiling mounted furnace as a backup).