What's new

Pit Cleaning Advise

Roz

Reaction score
where do all of you get rid of the dirt that you pull out?
Great question as all the local septic companies are scared to clean out a car wash pit due to regulations and being fined. Dumpster company would probably go crazy if we dumped it into the can.

MEP001

Reaction score
I let it dry on the bay floor and put it in the dumpster.

soapy

Reaction score
I have some spare land next to one wash and let it dry there then usually some one wants it for fill and hauls it away for free.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have a large area attached to my dumpster enclosure that was designed for drying the mud. Then I call a guy to come out with a skid steer and load it up on a dump trailer and take it to the dumps. $300 for that. They want $500 a pit to pump and remove and I have 6 at my SS site.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I believe there have been studies done that show that car wash pit mud does not pose a ground water parts per million hazard like some other pits etc???

The question then becomes ... "will the pertinent state &/or fed'l regulating agency" consider those specific studies though?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
My dumpster service also has said that I can dump the dirt ( dried out mud ) in the dumpster. I've had my guys do it bu that is just back breaking work.

mmurra

Reaction score
We pay a third party once a year, maybe more if needed. They suck it out and provide documentation on disposal. Works for us!

Twodose

Reaction score
Allot of people will put in their dumpster after letting it dry for some time in the bay, most probably won't say where they dump, particularly if they are dumping somewhere on other property they may own. There has been some debate about what pit mud is classified as and it varies from state to state.

kempape

Reaction score
I built a special front end scooper that I installed on a small tractor. It works awesome. Got the idea from Gator on this forum. I did a post on it about 18 months ago.
could i see a pic of what you built ? thanks

soapy

Reaction score
I have posted pictures of it several times on this forum. I will look around and see if I can find another picture.

soapy

Reaction score
1526 Mahindra tractor using a bobcat style mount to go on front fork attachment. We added the third function hydraulic on the front forks to control the Bucket movement. using a hydraulic ram. The tractor fits in the Hydraulic dump trailer we use to transport the mud. The bucket mount fits inside of all our pits and with bucket extended down we can get to the bottom of all our pits. IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1131.JPG