What's new

Pit Cleaning Advise

SparklesSS

Reaction score
Other than the traditional shovel and wheelbarrow or pump truck methods has anyone found any success with other methods of cleaning their pits? I have a self-serve with shallow pits. They require cleaning once per month which I have been doing by shovel and wheelbarrow. Has anyone tried a trash pump or diaphragm pump? What about a sludge sucker?

Thanks in advance!

MEP001

Reaction score
The problems with just about any kind of pump sill be that you'll have to add some water to get the mud out, and you have to pump it into something. That something won't be a wheelbarrow. You're probably better off with the shovel.

soapy

Reaction score
I built a special front end scooper that I installed on a small tractor. It works awesome. Got the idea from Gator on this forum. I did a post on it about 18 months ago.

Randy

Reaction score
I have to shovel out my pits every 10 days or they are a bitch to clean if I wait to long. I have a special place for the mud.

APW

Reaction score
I use a mini excavator and a dump trailer. I use a electric pump and pump the water from one pit to the other so its easy to get the mud out with the mini.

srr5008

Reaction score
We also use a handy clam. We have (4) 1,000 gallon tanks, so they are fairly deep. Have a tractor that stays at the wash for moving mud that is removed from the pits.

cooll903

Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
The Handi Clam? It's not, it's very sturdy.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have a Ring O Matic but also have 2 Hands Clams and have even used a shovel in the past. I feel in shape guy with a shovel can get a decent amount of dirt out to buy some time. Handi clam works good and I use a 15' on my interceptors.

I can't imagine owning a SS wash without a Ring O Matic tho. It's an great piece of equipment.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Soapy's post reminds me of Tim the Toolman's growling boasts back when Hollywood TV was not quite as raunchy & immoral!