What's new

Pit cleaner

Back 40

Reaction score
Where can I find the best deal on a ring o matic pit cleaner? New or used. Suggestions?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Where can I find the best deal on a ring o matic pit cleaner? New or used. Suggestions?
I found mine used last year about 5 hours away. Paid $1500 IIRC. It's 20 years old but works like a champ!

Last edited:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Of course used if you find one in working condition but that is not easy. Ring O Matics are great machines but require a lot of maintenance and can be expensive to repair so be very careful if you find a used one.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Of course used if you find one in working condition but that is not easy. Ring O Matics are great machines but require a lot of maintenance and can be expensive to repair so be very careful if you find a used one.
Forgive me for being so naive, but how does this unit work?

MEP001

Reaction score
There are two types, one has a scoop on the back like a backhoe with hydraulic controls, the other has a vacuum pump where you need to lower a tube into the pit by hand. The backhoe is more complicated but pretty much effortless to operate. The vacuum type is a lot more work.

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I am more familiar with the vacuum unit. It works very well if the pits are cleaned on a regular basis when the pit dirt is fairly loose. I am not so sure it requires more work than the backhoe type but the maintenance is definitely more involved. My understanding is that the backhoe type does a better job when the dirt in the pit is more compacted. I think the ease of use depends on your setup. If your pit is in a tight space the backhoe would be much more difficult to use.

Back 40

Reaction score
I think I am leaning toward the clam type if I have to purchase new, but I am open to either if I can find used. I can't seem to locate any used and have email several of the dealers list on ringomatics website but haven't gotten any replies. I see Kleen-Rite has them listed but short of them i haven't been able to locate any other pricing

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Just call Ring O Matic and they should give you the pricing. I bought a new one 3 years ago and went straight to them to purchase it. I believe it was about $14K for the 1000 with boom extension and hydraulic side to side. I may be off a little on price but I think that's fairly close. I looked for several years while nursing my old 500 model and never found one that I felt I wouldn't have to rebuild to get in good shape.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Operators tend to beat up their Ring O Matic so chances of finding a reliable used one or one that would be worth repairing are not good.

Back 40

Reaction score
Did some shopping around and it looks like buying direct is going to be the best price

vinh

Reaction score
rbauction.com

I bought my 2001 ringomatic vac excavator 850 used from rbauction.com last year for less than $4000 ( a new one today will cost over $40K) . I hate to give away this secret but rbauction is the best place if you want used heavy industrial equipment- Forklifts, vacuum trailer, scissor lifts, trucks, and tractors. I plan on buying a forklift from rbacution next when I start installing my automatics. A penny save is a penny earned.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I bought my 850 vac trailer 3yrs ago for about 25k new, straight from ring o matic. Even drove to Pella, IA to pick it up. Couldn't be happier with the purchase, and they are a great company to work with. Haven't had too much maint as others mentioned. Other than a handle breaking off, everything else has been fine. Just have to take care of it like anything else. It does a great job cleaning out the pits, as long as you do them every 6 months or so. That way the mud stays soupyand doesn't get compacted. 1st time cleaning a pit might take some extra work if it hasn't been done in awhile, but the suction on the 850 will impress you. I carry one of those gripper tools ($1 at the hardware store) to reach down into the pit and pick up things that are too big to suck up. Mostly branches, chunks of rock, cell phones, tools, etc.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I've got a 750 vac I haven't used in years. Last time I started it up was almost a year ago. I don't have any reason to keep it except that it keeps about 15 square feet from growing weeds in a field. I would be happy to let go for $2500. I think it needs some seals replaced on the tank because it takes a while for the suction to build up. The vac pump still works great though. Message me if interested.

Randy

Reaction score
I bought my 2001 ringomatic vac excavator 850 used from rbauction.com last year for less than $4000 ( a new one today will cost over $40K) . I hate to give away this secret but rbauction is the best place if you want used heavy industrial equipment- Forklifts, vacuum trailer, scissor lifts, trucks, and tractors. I plan on buying a forklift from rbacution next when I start installing my automatics. A penny save is a penny earned.
You want to be very careful when you buy anything at Richie Brothers Auction. Most the stuff there is pretty worn out and just about ready for the scrap yard. We have a Richie Brothers Auction site not far from us and we’ve been to there auctions a few times in the past. It makes for an interesting day.

Back 40

Reaction score
I've got a 750 vac I haven't used in years. Last time I started it up was almost a year ago. I don't have any reason to keep it except that it keeps about 15 square feet from growing weeds in a field. I would be happy to let go for $2500. I think it needs some seals replaced on the tank because it takes a while for the suction to build up. The vac pump still works great though. Message me if interested.
Pm sent, I am interested