What's new

pipe bollards

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
How do you add bollards after the concrete has been poured? I'm putting in a new auto and a new acw at my existing site. Should I just block it in instead? My other one is on a stand with bollards.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can have a flange welded to the bollard and bolt it down, but it won't be as strong. You can also rent a concrete hole saw.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
+1 ^^ Spend the few extra dollars and do it right the first time. Totally worth the small investment.

wash4me

Reaction score
Well, they should have been put in before pouring the concrete but at this point I would just bolt them down. People will still avoid them to keep from damaging their car. If you drill 5/8 holes and use 1/2 inch threaded rod and 2 part epoxy it will break the concrete before pulling the anchors. (Drill the holes as deep as possible without going all the way through the concrete..... or the epoxy will just run out) Get the epoxy at Carter-Waters or Fastenal.

MEP001

Reaction score
Wedge anchors hold just as well in concrete and are way less expensive than epoxy.

wash4me

Reaction score
My gut instinct is that epoxy is stronger..... If you have an 8 inch deep hole you have holding power over the entire surface area of a much longer hole. Also epoxy can be used to level the bollard and it keeps water out which can be important when there's a freeze thaw cycle.