What's new

Picture taking?

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted.

So just out of curiosity do you or do you not allow customers to take pictures of tunnel shop or site?

What would your reaction be?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
They can take pictures outside but as for inside is not happening due to security risks, if they want pictures inside then I will take the pictures.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had people poking around in the auto bay before - I tell them they aren't allowed in the bay for insurance reasons. One idiot saw something on the floor he decided he wanted to retrieve, and started to walk in with his 3-year-old daughter...while a car was entering for their wash. He was just there to go through the trash and had parked in a self-serve bay to do it - I felt all that together was enough to tell him to leave.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
I've had people poking around in the auto bay before - I tell them they aren't allowed in the bay for insurance reasons. One idiot saw something on the floor he decided he wanted to retrieve, and started to walk in with his 3-year-old daughter...while a car was entering for their wash. He was just there to go through the trash and had parked in a self-serve bay to do it - I felt all that together was enough to tell him to leave.
I understand. In the car wash industry you run into all sorts like that. Was it a express tunnel? If so then the dad was an idiot for putting his daughter in danger. He him self probably didn't know much about safety in the tunnel and if something does happen then your liable. If the law gets involved then the whole buisness is in jeopardy. That is a danger to the customer and the buisness.

Tunnel is definitly no place for the geusts. I believe employees in the hiring stage should be properly instructed on tunnel safety. I've been in many tunnels with in the past few years because when I worked at the wash I worked at I learned all the safety procedures. You have to know what your doing.

And I've also met some lunatic owners who are just hot heads. Basically if geust does something they shouldn't do it's best to talk to them in a quietly face to face instead of humiliating them and putting them on the spot ang going of on them. There are those who just like to create a scene. Which in turn may drive other geusts away.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
One other tip is signage. It may help if there's something saying "No pictures", "Employees only", Etc. Customers like in any buisness choose to shop at your establishment. Customer is always king no matter what. They're your buisness and it's always good to take care of them. If photos aren't allowed it maybe nessisary to put a signs up prohibiting photos. Or if they do take pictures kindly explain to them with a smile why you don't allow photos.

A few years ago I went to a car wash near my grandparents place. I took one photo. Next thing I knew the owner demanded me to leave in front of the other geusts. That is absolutly unexceptable. Now if I owned a car wash and one of my managers did that I'd probably fire them and kindly explain to the geust why we don't allow photos.

But in your case you did the right thing by asking the guy to leave. If someone is coming into the buisness not a geust and is violating rules then it's nessisary to ask them leave in a calm manor.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A few years ago I went to a car wash near my grandparents place. I took one photo. Next thing I knew the owner demanded me to leave in front of the other geusts. .
When I visit a wash and want to look around, the fikrst think I do is ask for the owner or manager, explain who I am and ask permission. 99% say OK.

Once a guy said OK then another sees me and reads me the riot act, saying "I am the preident of the company...." I happened to know who the owner was and explained that I had asked permission from someone who said he was the manager and he rec'd it. He calmed dowen and called over the owner who was on site. The owner knew who I was since we were both second geeration Chicago operators and let me look around.

dlc95

Reaction score
Back in 1996 I was allowed to go into a few metro Detroit tunnels to look around and take pics. I was 19. I guess they got a kick out of a kid having an interest in car washes.

If someone wanted to take a picture of my wash, I insist they ask first before entering the facility. Other than that I wouldn' really mind.

On a side note, one of the coolest washes was Carl's in Hazel Park, Mi. They have an all bristle, old Hannah tunnel. Didn't take pics though.....