What's new

Phase loss protection devices

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
OK, for the second time in a few Months I've lost a contactor on the Istobal due to a loss of a phase. if a lose a leg that does not provide power to the 24V transformer the machine continues to try to run, and the contactor gets burned up. Does anyone have any advice about phase loss protections? I have 208 and thought about just three 110V relays wired in series with each leg powering a relay coil, but for less than $80 I see these phase loss detectors at automation direct:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...46S-N0hEyTTDH4-B4BCdVsM7PgGr3kfUaAv8oEALw_wcB

Any input guys or other favorite brands?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
We’ve been using these from FactoryMation with good luck. Not only will it save your equipment but wire it into some type of monitoring device to alert you when there is an issue.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, both look like decent choices. Supply House sells the ICM 401 for only $30. Looks like a good inexpensive choice for SS.
I like the DIN rail mounting of the elko-may try that on the Istobal.

wrightwash

Reaction score
OK, for the second time in a few Months I've lost a contactor on the Istobal due to a loss of a phase. if a lose a leg that does not provide power to the 24V transformer the machine continues to try to run, and the contactor gets burned up. Does anyone have any advice about phase loss protections? I have 208 and thought about just three 110V relays wired in series with each leg powering a relay coil, but for less than $80 I see these phase loss detectors at automation direct:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...46S-N0hEyTTDH4-B4BCdVsM7PgGr3kfUaAv8oEALw_wcB

Any input guys or other favorite brands?
We've used the AD's on industrial equipment before without any issues. More curiously though, I wonder what's causing you to lose a phase? Are you seeing this at your main power in? Your electrical company should be able to report to you if you've had any power loss.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
We've used the AD's on industrial equipment before without any issues. More curiously though, I wonder what's causing you to lose a phase? Are you seeing this at your main power in? Your electrical company should be able to report to you if you've had any power loss.
Both times just a leg dropped. This past weekend two fuses were blown on my pole outside. It had been windy that day, but I don't specifically know what happened.