What's new

PH strips

Bricks

Reaction score
What pH do you guys run your presoaks? Mine is at 11.5. Is that good? What about the low pass?

OurTown

Reaction score
Do you have a titration kit for your chemicals? I find it more accurate than checking pH although we do that too. It is really just for future reference once you get it dialed in washing cars well. Our presoak is around 12 pH or so and we are running it pretty hot relative to what we were recommended by our JBS chemical rep.

Bricks

Reaction score
Do you have a titration kit for your chemicals? I find it more accurate than checking pH although we do that too. It is really just for future reference once you get it dialed in washing cars well. Our presoak is around 12 pH or so and we are running it pretty hot relative to what we were recommended by our JBS chemical rep.
I do have a titration kit. It’s cleaning well BUT it’s leaving smeary streaks and spots that are very noticeable on the glass.

OurTown

Reaction score
I do have a titration kit. It’s cleaning well BUT it’s leaving smeary streaks and spots that are very noticeable on the glass.

Maybe it is your protectant. Try a wash without it and see if it leaves the streaks.

Bricks

Reaction score
Maybe it is your protectant. Try a wash without it and see if it leaves the streaks.
I have tried that and everything I can think of. Tomorrow I might try a different wax. Running out of ideas. Thanks

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I know in the past when I've found streaking it was tire cleaner leaking off the gantry onto the car.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are these streaks visible as soon as the car drives out?

Try running a clean car through to make sure the streaks and spots are not from something left behind by the presoak.

Check your spot-free with a TDS meter. It needs to be below 30 PPM, ideally it will be under 10. You could have a bad check valve letting some soap or wax into the spot free lines.

Bricks

Reaction score
I know in the past when I've found streaking it was tire cleaner leaking off the gantry onto the car.
I’m pretty sure tire cleaner can’t get to the automatic, but I could be wrong. I’ve replaced check valves.

Bricks

Reaction score
Are these streaks visible as soon as the car drives out?

Try running a clean car through to make sure the streaks and spots are not from something left behind by the presoak.

Check your spot-free with a TDS meter. It needs to be below 30 PPM, ideally it will be under 10. You could have a bad check valve letting some soap or wax into the spot free lines.
Yes the streaks are slightly visible when going through the dryer. Then the tiny spots of water turn into tiny specks. The TDS are at 9. I’ve changed the passes to where there was no Presoak or SFR, but not yet at the same time.

washnshine

Reaction score
I’m sure you have thought about this, but do you have a machine with separate manifolds for presoak and high pressure? And if so, could you be getting a drip or spurt of presoak after the rinse that is staying on the car?

Roz

Reaction score
Yes the streaks are slightly visible when going through the dryer. Then the tiny spots of water turn into tiny specks. The TDS are at 9. I’ve changed the passes to where there was no Presoak or SFR, but not yet at the same time.
I wonder if you are not using enough Spot Free water as the last pass to clean off the car such that some regular water drops remain to cause the streaks or spots. What type of automatic are you using? We had a random issue with our Razor where depending on the pass setup excess chemical was pooling on the top of the arm and dripping on the cars as they leave toward the dryers (modifying the passes fixed the issue).

Bricks

Reaction score
I’m sure you have thought about this, but do you have a machine with separate manifolds for presoak and high pressure? And if so, could you be getting a drip or spurt of presoak after the rinse that is staying on the car?
No they’re all together. It’s a rainmaker. I changed those two check valves. It’s very possible that’s still happening though.

Bricks

Reaction score
I wonder if you are not using enough Spot Free water as the last pass to clean off the car such that some regular water drops remain to cause the streaks or spots. What type of automatic are you using? We had a random issue with our Razor where depending on the pass setup excess chemical was pooling on the top of the arm and dripping on the cars as they leave toward the dryers (modifying the passes fixed the issue).
You might be on to something. The SFR pump is not very good. At first, i added a drying agent, after adding a flowmeter, It showed flow of the drying agent on all hp cycles. So I’m assuming the solenoid is not seating. Today I added a second pass of SFR and It is better. The spots are lighter and fewer. Maybe it’s time to change the RO filters, even though 9 isn’t bad. I’m trying to install a Revolution in the extra bay. The hydro spray is too narrow. Just this morning, a truck with wide wheels was completely up on the left side. I told him his tire had to be on the yellow treadle. There’s a lot of trucks around here and I think it’s the way to go. Thanks