What's new

Pex Tubing repair in concrete slab

robblackburn

Reaction score
Hello -
We had to pull out about a three foot section of a floor slab with in floor heat and now we need to splice the PEX tubing and repair the floor heat. I was thinking of using the SharkBite connectors but was not sure if something else was better. I know that it is not advised to have a splice under the slab but I do not have a choice in this case. Thanks.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I think i would contact the manufacturer of the fittings,
as their may be a reaction with the concrete that
may affect the fittings, and use their recommendations.
Most recommend to use a sleeve, or
covering to isolate the fitting from direct contact
with concrete.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Like Whale says, the pH of the concrete will eventually break down the connector.

So you'll want some good quality shrink wrap (made for under ground connections so it was the sealing compound in it...like what the phone company would use to splice their cables).

Its also a good idea to make a loop with the PEX with the splice half way in the loop. So when there is expansion and contraction in the cement, it won't pull on the connector directly.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
I have had good luck with a double hose barb and 4 stainless hose clamps. Wrap with hot water pipe insulating foam and cover with sand. Then pour concrete. We were not sure how this would work when we tried it but its been fine for 30 years. We have 11 bays (all with floor heat) and were sold the wrong pipe when we opened. We had to hammer out all 11 bay floors and replace every bit of hose. I don't EVER want to do that job again. This is the connection we used and it has held without issue...just my .02 your mileage may vary.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hello -
We had to pull out about a three foot section of a floor slab with in floor heat and now we need to splice the PEX tubing and repair the floor heat. I was thinking of using the SharkBite connectors but was not sure if something else was better. I know that it is not advised to have a splice under the slab but I do not have a choice in this case. Thanks.
Rob,

How old is existing PEX tubing? Did you check for where & how brittle it is? That could be a factor on the type of connector & how much length you actually should replace ... I would think.

ToFarGone,

Did the contractor or you use an attachment to a Bobcat or other skidsteer? We have found that to be much better than any portable jackhammer that we know of.

mike

ToFarGone

Reaction score
Mike,

Sadly no on the Bobcat Jackhammer. Would have been GREAT but there were too many areas that had to be done carefully. Right next to our pits, near the brick fascia...might have been ok but we didn't chance it. The judgement in our favor provided X number of dollars and we didn't want any new repairs to eat it up. Like I said it was one year after we opened so it was a bit scary. HOWEVER, for parking lot repair that attachment is a monster and I give it all 5 of my thumbs way up!

AJ