What's new

Petwash Feasibility?!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, everybody knows I like the petwash idea. Novel, interesting, buzz-worthy, add on profit canter. I looked at a nice building and single tub setup at the ICA show.

However, to do it I'd have to build it myself and find used equipment to install if I want it to ever cash flow.

Sorry, petwash companies, but do you really expect me to wash 6,250 dogs to pay for the initial investment?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of response you are looking for waxman. However, given the current state of affairs, unemployment is still rising and lots of quality people are looking for a good job. Consequently, have you given any thought to the possibility of developing a valet dog wash? Could be as simple as setting up a clean room with a wash tub, warm water supply, supply cart and hand-held applicators and blower dryer. Hire a laid-off beautician, hair stylist, kennel or vet worker, etc. to staff the place and run it like a barber shop. Add a telephone line or cell phone and you could take appointments plus walk-ups. You could even sell packaged doggie treats, food and accessories (e.g. dog collars, etc.). I bet you could pull this off for a lot less than a commercial self-service dog wash???????

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I was just wondering if others share my feeling about ROI on such a setup as was displayed in Vegas. IMO, it is far too much money for something that will require lots of cleanup and daily maintenance like an SS bay and likely take an extended 'ramp up' period on the revenue side.

As far as your valet idea; I hesitate to do that because there's a place 3/4 mile East of me that just opened and is doing a less than brisk business, to put it kindly. I think my market/demographics would better support self serve; lower to mid income, lots of hunters with bird dogs, etc., and lots of mud and dirt roads.

I also have customers in the full-serve pet grooming business and I think they may continue to do business with me if I put in SS Petwash but wouldn't if I went full serve with the idea. I appreciate your input; thanks!

easywash

Reaction score
Waxman, which machine are you refering to that you need to wash 6250 dogs to break even?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was the setup with the glass building included.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman,

I guess you are commenting on the ridiculous cost of the setup you saw? Because by my experience your talking over $40000 dollar investment...correct?

Now my setup used some carwash equipment that was already there (boilers, power heat, etc). and built in an existing space (off the equipment room). So what I needed to add to complete my pet wash was about $10K, which paid for itself in the first year.

Since then I added a second tub and some additional features (pet vac, fragrances, etc). My two petwashes now do as well as my vacs in gross sales and climbing!

A friend of mine built his own room (10x8) off the mechanical room at his wash, no foundation, wood construction, largely residential windows & doors. Cost him less than $2K (no labour).

I also want to note that the chemical costs involved are not insignificant...in the area of 20 to 25% of gross sales.

BigLeo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, it's $50k now.

If I could do it all for $10k I would more seriously consider it.

I was thinking there may soon be used tubs/equipment available.

bighead

Reaction score
I saw a dog was building on car wash consignment the other day... I think the code was dwb1, it should be about 4 down on the list if you click on "recent listings" ... you would have to drive to WI, but it might be worth looking at ...

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I just finished a two bay dog wash conversion. Here is my estimate of costs involved:
1. Completely glasses in both sides of one of my bays. Glass with electronic door strikes $7400. (Glass installed by professional)
2. Heat pump with add on electric heat and AC $2500 (I installed myself)
3. Small equipment room build out and all other tenant inprovements $3,000
4. Two tub set ups from National Pride $14,000 (I installed myself)
5. Plumbing including 40 gal hot water heater $600 (I installed myself)
6. Electrical to hot water heater, meter box, and heat pump $300 (I installed myself)

I did about $700 my first month. Spent at least that to advertise which is what I feel is the biggest problem with the dog washes. They do not seem to be a "build it and they will come" venture. There is a market that is just starting to develop out there. I am hoping I am just a little bit ahead of the curve. If not, I'll be out roughly $30k. Not chump change but small investment if the returns trend upward to $2k-$4k a month.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
$4k/mo. at $8 per cycle/dog is 17 dogs per day. That sounds high at least for my area. I was thinking maybe I could do 5 per day.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman,

You're on the money, I would go with 5 dogs a day to start and hope for better. $7 or $8 for 10 minutes. $50K is ridiculous, $25K for 2 tubs is more like it with a 2yr payback at the most.

I think you be closer to 8 or 9 dogs after a couple of years. Buzzie is right, it's not "Build and they will come" like a SS wash. It'll take a couple of years for word of mouth to spread.

What I did to pump up sales was to create a flyer targeted to dog lovers. We have a big dog show every year and I got my daughter and her friends to put them on the windshield of local cars (they would look to see if the car was purchased at a area car dealer). Best $20 in advertising I've ever spent.

BigLeo

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The biggest trick with "Build it and they will come" is to not do it with borrowed money. If you are ahead or behind you only have a lower return on your investment rather than filing Chaper 7.

Randy

Reaction score
I?ve been following the local dog wash here. He does about $800-$1100 a month with 2 tubs. The last time I was over there I took my wife. The dog STENCH was absolutely unbearable, the place was clean, but smelled terrible. She said she?d never go back there again. I think the dog washes are pretty low profit.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I?ve been following the local dog wash here. He does about $800-$1100 a month with 2 tubs. The last time I was over there I took my wife. The dog STENCH was absolutely unbearable, the place was clean, but smelled terrible. She said she?d never go back there again. I think the dog washes are pretty low profit.
Randy,

Unfortunately some dog wash operators do not frequent this forum and so don't learn from other's mistakes or knowledge.

Many of the pet washes I visit also stink and I certainly would not subject myself and my pet to. However if built properly and cleaned correctly, there is no smell. So what I did was to build my room out of RBS (plastic) and properly seal the concrete floors. That leaves fewer places for bacteria to live. Second, we spray the pet wash daily with KR's disinfectant and a chemical sprayer bottle. Takes less than a minutes. That takes care of the bacteria that causes the smell. Also, we have Pet Frangrance machines. The side benefit to them is that when used, they leave a nice scent behind...so not only does my petwash not stink...it actually smells nice!

As far as low profit goes, they are not huge money makers, but in this economy every bit helps. My pet washes do well and are another good revenue center. I belive they can be for most operators as long as it is done right and properly maintained. So if he's doing $800 to $1100 a month in a stinky room, he could do $1100 to $2000 a month if it was properly done. That's $24K a year for an equal investment (or less). 1 Yr ROI...I'll take it.

BigLeo

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That was my problem. I saw too long of a ROI. Bill said it exactly right, don't do it with borrowed money, and that was where I was headed. I still want to put one in, it might just take me a few years. I thnk its a great idea!

wasiknator

Mike W
Reaction score
I have a self serve dog wash, the K9000 wash. This unit is significantly more expensive than most mentioned on this forum, but in my opinion well worth it. Everything is self-contained. I am in Florida and the wash is outside. No issue with smell, fenced in a parking area by a vacuum and have been doing well. Started slow as expected, went to $1000/month prior to December, but starting to hit $1000+/month now that the weather has warmed up again. Not too many days during the year that are too cold. Best thing is if it looks like it might rain, people will still wash dogs vs. cars. To the person, everyone I ask says they will never wash their dog at home again. I charge $10/10 minutes. I am now "stacking" dogs on the weekends. Not unusual to have someone bring their 3 dogs at once. One interesting note, the dog washers really take advantage of my token changers as they get bonus tokens. 3/4 of my revenue is with tokens vs. cash or golden dollars. This does not occur with the car wash itself.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Wasi,

I wish I had that kind of weather. Yes on rainy days it's nice so see something getting used. It now sounds like you need to consider a second tub!

BigLeo

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Leo,

How much square footage do you need for each "tub" area? I'm closing off an SS bay, and thinking of allowing enough room for 2 tubs but only starting with 1. I figured I would separate the two areas with a 4' high knee-wall and they could use a shared entrance.

ScottV

bigleo48

Reaction score
ScottV,

I've seen them in as tight as 6'x8', so in a typical to smaller SS bay, you could put 6 tubs!

BigLeo