What's new

Perfect chemical mix?

heartwash1

Reaction score
Hello Guys I have a Sonnys Express 40 foot tunnel and am adding a Belanger Hydromitter at the end of my tunnel before the dryers. I need to know if I put a water repellent chemical in my lava at the begining of the tunnel will the car come out dryer? Can any experienced operators give me some tips on how to get my cars dryer I already added a Belanger Air Blade as well. My tunnel will be crammed to same the least when i am done. The water repellent I am using right now at the end of the tunnel runs on a line that rinses the whole car so basically a 15 gallon drum is gone on only a couple hundred washes.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Why install the hydromitter? Cleaning issues, or rinsing issues? You don't want a hydrophobic chemical on the car until it's clean, so early in the tunnel is a bad plan. Using low pH during friction cleaning will typically help the drying agent function. What drying agent are you using and what dilution? Are you adding the airblade or exchanging out Sonny's blowers?

heartwash1

Reaction score
Why install the hydromitter? Cleaning issues, or rinsing issues? You don't want a hydrophobic chemical on the car until it's clean, so early in the tunnel is a bad plan. Using low pH during friction cleaning will typically help the drying agent function. What drying agent are you using and what dilution? Are you adding the airblade or exchanging out Sonny's blowers?
Basically we are prepping the cars with prep guns which slows the line down which is why I am installing a hydrometer The air blade is in the tunnel with the Sonny's blowers The cars come out 75% dry currently I have a triple rain arch in
there that is going to be removed and replaced with the hydrometer which will do away with the prep guns and the lag time in my queue thus the reasoning for the hydrometer I'm currently using a simoniz drying agent I just wanted to see if anyone else mixed in some drying agent with their foaming agent at the beginning of the wash any tips on how to get the car dryer would be much appreciated

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I think you will be going backwards at first glance... The triple rain Arch should be what applies your drying and sealant products. The hydromitter instead will help some with cleaning and rinsing, but not help at all with drying. Will you still have room to apply sealant, drying agent, and spot free? I'm not sure what areas the hydromitter will solve as far as prepping is concerned... What dilution is your drying agent and sealant applied at? Equipment rarely solves a chemical problem.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
1. Lo PH Cleaning solutions.
2. Make sure care is rinsed well before applying any drying agent.
3. Don't know what climate you are in but try warming the DA and Setting for better effect.

Etowah

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If your lava is in the front I would continue to use a low ph conditioner. For most efficient chemical usage If you're using high ph anything use it at the very beginning and start getting it off right away and lowering the ph of the car to 6 or below through conditioners, shampoos, etc and heck even just injecting acid into flooding rinse arch. Only after you're through with soap products and rinsed will the drying agent be most effective.

Where is your tri foam in the wash? If its early in the process I would use low ph conditioners. If its mid way its possible you could use a polish product that will enhance beading.

There are some new polymer based drying agents that are working pretty well for me in an IBA that don't spot the car and leave a nice shine. It is expensive per container, but I'm putting around 5ml on a car, so I'm getting several thousand cars plus out of five gallons in a IBA. You may want to have a look at some of those

mac

Reaction score
I am always amused reading posts like this. It seems quite apparent that the people selling these equipment packages simply do not know how to fine tune them so that you can get a clean,shiny, and dry car without prepping the thing. And please, I am not bashing you operators. The simple fact is that most equipment suppliers and chemical reps don't know this stuff. I have been fortunate to meet a few people who understand the process and have told me how to do it.

MC3033

Reaction score
I would consider adding a regular mitter and putting your rain bars in front of it. Helps wick away a bit of the water and then you get a cleaner drying aid application.

if you are using a final rinse after the drying agent I would consider switching your drying aid to a nozzles arch.

What type of cleaning issues are you having? The mitter is only going to help with the top of the vehicles so I’m not sure that will be your cleaning fix if you are trying to do away with power washing. I would also stay away from low PH lava if you are already having cleaning issues and go with high ph for presoak and a strong detergent for lava. Obviously this will fight the dryness but a dirty car is worse then a wet car

washnshine

Reaction score
You’ve gotten great advice so far. One more thing - a hydro mitter at that location in the tunnel is more likely to help with rinsing rather than cleaning. Think about it. You are prepping now at the front, and probably with a chemical and hp wands. Moving hp to the end with little or no chemicals left on the car is not likely to replace or improve what you are currently doing at the front with your preppers.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would also stay away from low PH lava if you are already having cleaning issues and go with high ph for presoak and a strong detergent for lava.
Well, good point if cleaning is a problem but hopefully he can get the high off.

My chemical mfg (quest) is now making low ph presoaks & shampoos with degreasing surfactants. It's cool in theory that your getting some cleaning out of a low ph product that could be used as a lava or foam stick foamer. I'm sure others are making them too.