What's new

Perception and how we blow it

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I received an email from someone that wants to make me more successful. So far I haven't bothered to communicate with them and more than likely won't. I wanted to show you how many ways that they blew it. They might have the next hula hoop, but I'd guess probably not.

Notice that first impression that you get is an AOL email address, IMO not a business email address. Note the actual name in the email address, not a real name. They obviously didn't look at the site, or they would have realized that I don't own any lube centers.

Note all of the spelling errors. An English sounding name but the grammar of someone from Nigeria.

It was from an email address Btorgel@aol.com sent to info@quicklubeinvesting.com

Dear Sirs:

My business partner and I have an idea that cold increase you income without any added overhead no added employees.

A franchise that does on an average of 1200 oil changes per month could make another $14,400 per year with absolutely no investment of overhead.

If you are interested in our idea, please let us know and we ca go ahead with whatever market testing you wan to do. If the idea is adopted for all of your franchises, then a on-time "finders"fee can be negotiated.

Many thanks.

Cordially,

Bob Thompson
1720 W. 34th Ave.
Eugene, Oregon 97405
541-345-8319

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I get junk like that somewhat regularly, I figure its either fishing, virus laden, trojan, etc. I never get past the first sentence, I dont think its real.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't even open email if I don't recognize the sender.

Skipper Jack

Reaction score
The poor grammar is usually a giveaway. This example is a little unusual for a phishing attack, since they usually point you to a bogus web page within the body of the message.

A Google search on the phone number does match to Bob Thompson, and a Google search on the email address of 'Btorgel@aol.com' points to:

Dr. Robert Thomspon (SIC)
1720 W. 34th Ave.
Eugene, Oregon 97405

However, the email address also points to this guy:

The American premier of selections from Petr Eben's "The Labyrinth of the World and the Paradise of the Heart" for organ and narrator was performed by Robert Thompson A.MusD. on Ash Wednesday in Eugene, Oregon at Central Presbyterian Church. The narrator was Michael Peacor.
The work originated as a concert of improvisations describing scenes from the book by the same title by the famous Czech theologian/bishop/author/educator/artist/musician, Johann Comenius (1592-1670). Dr. Thompson is available on a sliding-fee basis to repeat this program throughout the U. S. and elsewhere.
Both Dr. Thompson and Mr. Peacor are active members of The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection in Eugene, Oregon, Betty Jean Bartholomew, Director of Music. The program was filmed for television. A free DVD is available for the asking from btorgel@aol.com. Postage included.

Would this Dr Thompson write such a poor letter?

Zillow estimates the house @ 1720 W 34th Ave,Eugene, OR 97405 @ 332,500 - not too shabby.

Lane county in Oregon doesn't seem to list tax appraisals on-line, so you can't be sure Bob owns his house.

This is fishy all the way around, but It is kind of interesting what a few minutes in a search can turn up.