What's new

People dumping trash in SS bays

joedirt

Reaction score
Every few days a landscaper comes into my wash and blasts the mulch and trash (nails, screws, metal shavings and water bottles) out of the back of his truck. Also in the past few weeks I've had someone dump an old couch in the bay, others have dumped garbage bags with beer bottles ECT. This closes down those bays until I come back sometimes a few hours later and clean it up. What can I do) legally to bust these guys. Is there a law against this kind of dumping? Any help will be appreciated thanks!

soapy

Reaction score
There are laws against dumping trash. You will need a camara system that can capture license plate numbers. The cops won't do much for you if you don't have definite evidence of who did it. If you want to have the offenders stop coming to the place you can get a trespass order filed on them. SOme one did this to me once and the cop came over and called the guy and said he had 30 minutes to get back to the wash and clean up his mess or he would issue a $500 illegal dumping ticket to him.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Dumping

My wash had a big dumping problem before I owned it. I added cameras and caught some offenders including one who was legally forced to pay me $400 as restitution for my labor and materials for cleanup. I also keep the wash as clean as is reasonable, whatever that means, as a clean wash seems to more discourage dumping compared to a dirty one.

The cameras detected that only a few residents were responsible for a majority of the trash problems. I captured their plates with a camera, used zabasearch or other tools to chase them down, and politely told them to knock it off. The dumpers always immediately cease dumping trash after I contact them, and, oddly, not a single one has ever asked how I identified them or chased them down.

Trash problems are frustrating, and when you catch someone and track them down it is tempting to get in their face about it. I do the opposite-- keeping very polite-- and explaining they were accidentally caught while me and the Sheriff's deputies were looking for the "real culprits" who are dumping hazardous waste into the dumpster. This keeps the discussion from turning confrontational and the addition of the word "deputies" seems to always add a bit more influence in their willingness to pay attention.

captain cw

Reaction score
It's illegal and if you can get a license plate number, I would call the police. These people know it's illegal. That's why they always seem to come around when no one is at the wash. I caught one lady spraying mud and trash out the bed of her truck. I told her I didn't want her doing that. Her reply was "this is a car wash, isn't it?". My reply was "this is littering and I will call the police". She got mad and left. Good riddance! I hope she never comes back.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
...I caught one lady spraying mud and trash out the bed of her truck. I told her I didn't want her doing that. Her reply was "this is a car wash, isn't it?"...
I get the same response, and I reply with "You are correct, it's a car wash, not your backyard hose wash. Please do not do this or I will bring the police into the matter.".

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Recently I found a couple bags of someone's garbage in my dumpster. It contained a lot of stuff printed on computer paper with their address. I used to send a bill for collection, which never got paid of course. This time I took about a 1/2" thick (nice and heavy) stack of their paperwork, stuffed it into a large manila envelope, addressed it to them, and dropped it in a mailbox. I know I will get called an SOB when that package arrives "postage due", but I got one nice laugh when I dropped it in the mailbox.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Recently I found a couple bags of someone's garbage in my dumpster. It contained a lot of stuff printed on computer paper with their address. I used to send a bill for collection, which never got paid of course. This time I took about a 1/2" thick (nice and heavy) stack of their paperwork, stuffed it into a large manila envelope, addressed it to them, and dropped it in a mailbox. I know I will get called an SOB when that package arrives "postage due", but I got one nice laugh when I dropped it in the mailbox.
I enjoyed that Pat. When ever I find a few bags of household trash @ the wash and can find an address in it, I load it up in my truck and deliver it back to them, scattered all over their front yard.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Maybe I have, maybe I haven't, returned the bags of household trash to their owners. It's amazing people will throw their personal information in the bag then dump it at a car wash. I just figure they must have misplaced their trash and would want it back? :)

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
I caught one lady spraying mud and trash out the bed of her truck. I told her I didn't want her doing that. Her reply was "this is a car wash, isn't it?".

When I get that response from someone, I tell them, Yes it is and it is my car wash and I make the rules. If you don't like it, build your own and you can do whatever you like.

joedirt

Reaction score
I enjoyed that Pat. When ever I find a few bags of household trash @ the wash and can find an address in it, I load it up in my truck and deliver it back to them, scattered all over their front yard.
I Like It!!!!!!