What's new

Peco Dryers burning out

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
We have 9 peco 15 amp dryers in our wash. Open about 2 years. So far we have had 5 dryers burn out their motors, 3 under warranty, two not.

We have had the electric company out to run a week long test on peaks and they found nothing out of the ordinary.

Any ideas? We'd like to resolve this before we replace the motors again.

bonanza1

Reaction score
We have 9 peco 15 amp dryers in our wash. Open about 2 years. So far we have had 5 dryers burn out their motors, 3 under warranty, two not.

We have had the electric company out to run a week long test on peaks and they found nothing out of the ordinary.

Any ideas? We'd like to resolve this before we replace the motors again.
I have an exterior express with peco dryers going on 4 years old and have never had a dryer motor problem.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
What kind of connectors are you using for the wires at the motor. Wire nuts or wire lugs? Have you checked the amperage draw on each leg of every motor to see if it is balanced? Usually the thing that kills electric motors is uneven amperage draw. I have blower motors that are over 10 years old that are still going strong.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
HAd an issue with some AVWs burning out a while back.

They had a bad bunch of motors . Replkacements were a different brand and are holding up better.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Check the amperage of each leg of each motor while its running. Make sure EVERY connection is VERY tight (ALL lugs on contactors and overloads).
What is the duration between motors starting and how many motors start at one time? Only starting two at a time with a seven second delay between the starting of each pair should work the best. Make sure the points of each contactor are not burnt and you are getting full control voltage to each contactor coil to insure they fully engage and do not "chatter".

my2cents

Reaction score
You also want to look at how many times per hour you start and stop the dryers. Motors that size are rated for 4-5 hot starts per hour. Your look ahead needs to be set to the gate especially in warmer climates. Keep the blowers on between cars if not already doing so.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...this gives me some things to look at. I'll repost when I have some kind of resolution.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Peco dryer motors failing

Thanks for every ones replies. All motors have wire lugs and have been checked for amperage by three different electricians. Look back was extended. Just thought this was an usual situation. Any other ideas?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am sticking with post #6.
Motors were bad or not designed for that type of use.

Had several relativlely new ones burn out on AVWs . replacements were different. No replacements burned out.