What's new

PDQ M5 Under-Body-Flush ultrasonics Problem

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

Now that the cold has set in, I am having a problem with the Under-Body-Flush ultrasonics on my M5. Intermittently, they are prematurely starting my Under-Body-Flush before the car reaches it. This happens when its coldish and the steam seems to trigger them. I am trying to keep the washbay warmer (between 55 and 60F) so the doors don't freeze. Seems to be OK if I keep the washbay below 50F. Nothing aside from gentle cleaning and calibating has been performed since install. They are about 5 years old.

Is this a sign that the ultrasonics are getting tired and need replacing?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My IBA is a different brand, but I will say that ultrasonics last only a few years for me, max.

I keep a couple spares on hand. If you have a spare, swap it out for one and test.

I can re-teach mine on the machine and have also sent them out to be re-calibrated.

Mine are expensive; $500 each.

Also, you could trigger your underbody the 'old school' way, like I do, with a ramped Tapeswitch. Cheap $ and reliable.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I would not replace an ultrasonic until you can prove that it has failed. On intermittent problems, we normally start by replacing the cheapest parts first. Is there anyway to monitor the output of the ultrasonic? I have seen the ultrasonics on a Ryko last for over 10 years, but we are able to monitor their output to know if they are working properly. We can even go into the program and enter an "Offset" to adjust the ultrasonic if we need to.

bigleo48

Reaction score
No real adjustment available, but there is a debug on the node I will look at. It seems that these ultrasonics last about 5 years or so and have just weakened over time. I will purchase a couple and test...its nice to have spares and they are not that expensive.

gearhead

Reaction score
UBF ultrasonics

I had a similar problem with one of my M5's. One of the ultrasonics was failing and went way too sensitive.Rather than start throwing parts at it, I was able to isolate the one that was bad by using the distance measurement tests on the M5 quick reference chart.(found on PDQ website) To do this you must switch it with a side measure sonic @ the i/o node assembly in the bay. Then perform the i/o mon command for that side sonic. If you'd like, PM me for more detailed instructions.